Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

emailed: PLC 2 software and connection

3 posts in this topic

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by supratik bhowal (palcoworks@rediffmail.com) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 at 22:53:20 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- question: Usage comments: we are using allan bradley plc model 2/30. we do not have the software or converter to connect a pc to the cpu for viewing the logic status or make any changes in the application program. could you please let me know how this will be possible.

You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=2496 That covers the software part and if you follow the link they have a serial cable too.

I think that's a circular link, Chris, but I'm sure you were referring to the threads during which folks have recommended AustGlobal's PLC-2 programming software. www.austglobal.com In most of those threads, non-users of that software overlook that it supports only two models of the PLC-2 controller, the 1772-LP1 and -LP2 (both are models of the PLC-2/20 controller). Supratik specified that he needs to work on a PLC-2/30 controller. This controller, as well as the popular PLC-2/16 and 2/17 controllers, are not supported by AustGlobal's software. Their website has promised support for the PLC-2/15 and 2/05 controller "soon" for several years. So, to work on PLC-2/30 controllers, you need Rockwell Software's AI-2 software and a PLC-2 "smart cable" or 1784-PCMK card with 1784-PCM2 cable. The good news is that software will support all the PLC-2 controller models. The bad news is that it's very expensive. In fact, I'm not sure that it's sold at all anymore. If you have never worked on an obsolete (no matter how popular it was 20 years ago) programmable controller, it is better to contract out the work to someone who is familiar with it, even if that's the manufacturer.