Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heartnet

Difference between RTU & PLC / SCADA & HMI

6 posts in this topic

Hi, Can someone please clarify whats the difference between RTU (remote terminal unit) and PLC (programmable logic controller)? As well as HMI & SCADA? I am so confused. Isn't RTU basically PLC? Thanks.

What book did you read, maybe you need to read it again? What did it say that confused you? I really don't believe it will help you much if I do your homework for you. :) Edited by RussB

Book says SCADA consist of a HMI, RTU and a PLC. For what I understand is that. RTU = PLC. Why doesn't the book categorise them both into one?

A book that I read states that SCADA consist of a HMI, PLC and RTU. Can SCADA exist if a system only consist of HMI and PLC? Can PLC act like RTU?

What is a SCADA, the acronym stands for Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition. Do those devices meet all of this? If no, why? If yes, how? What does your book say about that?

From what I can gather Local SCADA consist of a human machine interface, programmable logic controller Wide range SCADA consist of a human machine interface, RTU. -> remote terminal unit. RTU act like a PLC but it provide better communication ie: thru Ethernet and etc. Am I on the right track here.