Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bucktail

Device Net

5 posts in this topic

I want to set up a test station to addresses some modules before i put them in. I know i need a power supply and terminators but do i need a scanner? I have a AllenBradley hand held programmer 193-DNCT that i was wanting to use to set the node address. So if i have a short trunk line with the resistors at each end and then a plug to connect the hand held and the device that i am addressing do i need some sort of a scanner to make this work?

You'll need a 24VDC power supply on the red and black wires. I think the DNCT is powered by the network, rather than providing "commissioning power". The 193-DNCT can be set for a specific data rate (125, 250, 500) and generate enough traffic to cause a device to "auto detect" the data rate. Or you can set it to auto-detect, so that you can hook it up to a live network. You don't need a scanner on the network to use the DNCT; that device's intent was to be used in a benchtop or 'no computer, no PLC' situation.

I am curious as to what you are trying to accomplish by setting these up in advance instead of hooking them up to a live network to configure them? It seems like a lot of work for something that isn't terribly difficult to do once they are on the network. Sounds like this set up should work for your purposes though

I have got a new section of allen Bradley 2100 MCC that was added to an existing section with Device net and the new E1 modules were not at default node addresses i found this out after installing them and haveing conflicts with other nodes in the MCC section and all i had time to do was to disconnet them. I dont have the time to take the MCC down again for a while and i need to re address the modules so i can plug them back into the network. I am not sure what the current addrese are on the new section i assumed they were 63 but i was wrong. So i thought i would do it off line. Sounds like all i need is a 24vdc power supply and i just ordered the hand held programmer and some terminates to make up a line,so i dont think it will be much trouble. That is the only way i know to this unless you have better suggestion, i just know the basics about device net and i figured this way would be the easiest. But i am open to suggestions Thanks for the replies

I would secure a copy of RSNetworx for DeviceNet first (http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rsnetworx/orderinginfo.html) Then obtain a PC to DeviceNet network interface such as 1770-KFD (http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1770-rm522_-en-p.pdf); on a Logix platform, the use of a network interface is not necessary; RSNetworx could browse the network via Ethernet/IP to the CPU and then hop to the DeviceNet bridge via Logix Backplane. Connect a RSNetworx for DeviceNet runnining PC to the network interface (or RSLinx browse to the Logix bridge if a network interface is not being used) ; connect the network interface (if present) to the llive network and upload the Scanlist. If you do not have any documentatiion for the existing network you cannot presume what node numbers have been used and what's available for development. Once you have a clear picture of the task at hand you could develop a new RSNetworx Offline application containing the future topology of the network. The communications settings for most of the DeviceNet communications adapters are settable via external DIP/Rotary switches; if a DeviceNet device does not offer any external communications settings it is defaulted to Node 63; these type of devices need to be added to a "live" network one-by-one, each addition requring a promptly done re-addressing (via RSNetwox) for the intended position(Node #) within the Scanlist The hand-held device could be used for connecting to individual devices, however, it cannot access the scanner's interface which is a requirement when "editing" any DeviceNet configuration. Edited by dmargineau
1 person likes this