Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Fillmore

Help converting 4 SINTs to REAL

6 posts in this topic

If I can get help converting the (4) SINT's to a DINT then I think i can just MOV the DINT to a REAL. Thanks

Found the info right here on MrPLC. COP (Copy File) Source: SINT[0] Dest: REAL Length: 4

I hope that works out for you. However, I have found in a lot of cases the Bytes don't come in the right order for a simple COP. If you find that, have a look at the SWPB Instruction. It might take a little trial and error to find the right combination. Stu.....

Length is destination address length. It should be 1.

Why does that instruction work no matter what I put for the Length (tried 1, 4, 6) all worked? Also what is the math behind 4 SINT's representing a REAL?

With the 'Length' numbers larger than 1 the COP is copying data which lies past the 4 SINT's in memory and placing them beyon the Real, probably messing something up. leave it at 1. A SINT is 8 bits long. A Real is 32 bits long. Somewhere a Real existed and something (you didn't define what) chopped it up into 4 SINTs without messing up the bit pattern within each 8 bit segment and, suprisingly, maintained the order of the 4 SINTs. We usually aren't that lucky. For more in-depth about SINT's and Reals, check out the structure of each. SINT's are fairly easy. For Reals try 'Floating Point' in Wikipedia. Edited by b_carlton