Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

lose communications

4 posts in this topic

I am using a Micrologix 1400. I setup using the RSLinx and it is fine. After about 10 to 15 secs my notebook looses communications with the PLC. I can not reconnected unless I go back to RSLinx and try to connect again. I tried the communications within RSlogix 500 but it will not see the plc. After a couple of times connecting for the 10 to 15 secs I am able to get the the ethernet configure so I can hook up that way. The Ethernet works fine. If you are wondering I do not get the red x next to the comms setup.

After I wrote this and seen someone else wrote a comm problem, I remembered we had to use the allen bradley usb to serial converter. What is that?

You are trying to communicate w/ RS232 I assume. Do you have a real comm port or a virtual usb adapter? Some of them do not work, others do. If you need one Automation direct makes a good one I have used for years with AB PLC's http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communications/Serial/Telephone_Modems/USB-RS232 You have to make sure you get the drivers installed, for the cable as well. Once you plug it in to your computer type devmgmt.msc in the run box on the start menu. and go into device manager and see what comm port was assigned to the usb adapter. Set that up in your rslinx driver and it should auto configure. This may not even be the problem in your situation but I ran into this very issue a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the cable I was using. Good luck

You can also right click on "My Computer" scroll to the Manage, it will open "Device Manager". DOS is still cooler though! I use the SeaLevel branded one as it has a six foot cable.