Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

PLC-5 Communication with 1761 NET-ENI

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm having some trouble getting this ENI (Series D) to communicate with the PLC-5. The PLC's CH0 is set for 19.2k baud and CRC error checking. I can connect fine over the CH0, and the ENI is set for auto-negotiate. When I drill to the IP address in Linx, it shows the ENI module and when I try to download from Logix5, it errors out with: "Diagnostics failed. Station off line" I've used these with SLCs in the past without problems, but this is my first attempt with a PLC-5 and it's not going so hot. Edited by phuz

OK, just a wild stab, but you aren't really using RSLogix500 are you?

lol...guess I have done a lot of SLC programming lately. RsLogix5. :)

Well there goes the simple solution! Generally with comm problems I would start with RSLinx and exhaust all my options there. I dont remember what information is available from the ENI, but can you go into RSLinx and look at the config info to see if it matches what you would expect on the comm port or see if there is a valid comm link to the PLC5? Also, I think the ENI has a web page that has diagnostic info on it. Can you go to that and see what is going on between the ENI and the 5. You are communicating with the ENI properly and you can communicate directly to the 5 with a comm cable. I suspect the ENI is not communicating with the 5. Are you sure the cable from the ENI to the 5 is correct?

Yes, I bought the PM02 cable for this specifically. I am using a standard 25/9 converter for both my communication as well as the ENI. I just looked at something that I find strange. My PC serial port is set to 19.2k and the PLC is set to 19.2k and the ENI is set to Auto speed, but under the "Utility settings" tab, I have to have the baud rate at 9600 in order to upload/download to the ENI. Not sure why since the PC baud rate is 9600.

Here is another thread on this: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=22373 In it there is mention of setting the PLC comm port to CRC instead of the default BCC. Might be worth a try.

Never mind. I have no idea what changed, but I disconnected the ENI from the PLC and then plugged it back and now it shows up in Linx, under the IP address, as a PLC-5 and not the ENI module. Success! Maybe I just needed to rant for a minute. Thanks.

You never told me you were applying FM principles to this... Glad its working.