Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Micrologix 1400 FET PTO Outputs to Open Collector NPN?

5 posts in this topic

I am using a Micrologix 1400 for PTO purposes. The problem here is I don't think I can use the PTO output for the device I am trying to control, because it appears to me the pulse signal is NPN method. Unfortunealy, it also appears to me the 1400 BXB Model FET outputs are only PNP. Figures...because all the other models of Micrologix are Sink or Source configuration except the FET OUTPUT "BXB" model.... Can someone double check me? If I am right, I need some kinds of a high speed optocoupler to convert the PTO FET output from the Micrologix +24VDC signal to an open collector NPN -24V signal. I just need to drive the amplifier with a Pulse and Direction Signal. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am not sure the frequency yet, but I hope no faster than 10 Khz. Any smaller optocoupler recommendations? to this Open Collector drive

It looks like you'll have to convert. I found these (it looks like the price is for 5 of them.)

Thanks for the find. I found some too, that are rated for 15 KHZ. These should work too. Phoenix Contact Switching amplifier - DEK-TR/INV - 2964319. But yours are rated for 120 KHZ..not bad...thanks!

I purchased some of these, I'll you know in a couple of days how they work....

Ok just as a followup.. DO NOT PURCHASE these if you are using them for Pulse Output.... They are great for a standard NPN to PNP or PNP to NPN...but even though they are rated for 120 KHz of switching frequency, they destroy the wave form. Here is the Micrologix 1400 PTO output direct from the PLC. Now, here is what the wave form looks like after it goes through this PNP to NPN converter... I do have them checking into this..and if it's resolved, I will post back what the fix is..but this will not work as is. You can not have your wave form destroyed like that...LOL...