Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plcparts

Hello, New guy with a question

2 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am a electrical controls tech that does installs and trouble shooting of control systems involving PLC's. I am not a programmer but do have some understanding of how they work. My question is, we removed a plc from a inservice system and now have some of the parts from it in our possession including the CPU. My uncle who is the company owner and my boss has considered selling these parts but he is worried that the CPU may have propriortary info stored on it. We have no way of deleting the program. It has been powered down now for a week or so and the battery was unplugged. It is a Modicon 140 CPU 534 14B. Would there be any other info on it other than the ladder logic? Is there anything to worry about?

Hi; Usually, when there's no memory card the program gets erased when you pull out the battery after de-powering. If there's a memory card check if there's a battery in it and remove that as well this will ensure that the PLC is blank! If it is a flash-Eprom then use a card-reader with your pc/laptop and erase it as well. Most PLC memory cards can be erased this way. You could use the programming software, if that is available and download a useless program. There's nothing proprietory after that!. However the PLC you mention seems very old so the battery removal must do the trick! Raj S. Iyer