Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkotronic

Upgradding Contrologix

4 posts in this topic

Hi, A wee question! If I upgrade my version of RSlogix 5000 from 12 to 18, do I need to upgrade the firmware in all my Clgx PLC's? We have mutiple programming terminals and I don't want to have to upgrad them all. Cheers, Colin Edited by sparkotronic

If you installed the upgrade in addition to the original installation of Logix5000 (as opposed to replacing), you will not need to upgrade the firmware of your older Logix controllers. When you open a file or connect to a controller, the software checks to see which version firmware is tagged to that project. I currently have all versions from 10 to 18 installed on my laptops because we have different vintage processors in our facility.

Thanks for that. Looks like a wee upgrade might be on the cards!

Just be aware of a little gotcha I encountered yesterday. If you upgrade the CPU, you MUST also upgrade the firmware of any associated motion modules. IOW, if you move your CPU to v16, a SERCOS module must also be upgraded to v16. Also be aware of which firmware versions are supported for which processors. The L55 we have a bunch of can only go up to 16.