Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

DH485 to Ethernet

3 posts in this topic

ok...another relatively simple one..... have a 5/03.....would like to connect it up to an ethernet network. Can use either port......in past I've used a 1761-NET-ENI. Has anyone tried a basic run of the mill 232 to ethernet converter? thanks, bob

Don't attempt DH485 to Ethernet unless you absolutely have to; it requires a purpose-built converter like the ones from DataLink/EquusTek. If you want to use the Ethernet drivers and Ethernet messaging from A-B controllers, you need a 1761-NET-ENI or a Digi One IAP. The trick is that they actually convert from EtherNet/IP to DF1 protocol because they are aware of the packet structure and command syntax. If you just want to connect to RSLinx or Kepware or RSLogix, you can use a more general-purpose Ethernet device server and use the "COM Port Redirector" feature to use Ethernet as the transport between the Windows COM port driver and the physical RS-232 Channel 0 serial port on the SLC-5/03 controller.

nope its a connection to a non AB HMI that supports DH485 protocol on the s/w layer but not the h/w layer. It also supports Ethernet. Guess I could also go with an aftermarket pic module and give it a try also. I knew about the AB protocol being embedded, wasn't sure if I needed it. Looks like I do. Thanks, bob