Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Siemens to Ethernet to Bradley

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, In our plant we have a number of Westfalia Centrifuges. These run Siemens PLC's, they are Simatic C7-635 key PLC's. These are connected via Ethernet. I can go on-line to each of the PLC's by connecting into the sitch that they are all connected to. I know only a small amount of S7, but am ok with all the Bradly stuff. Can someone tell me if I can read from each of the Siemens PLC's via the Ethernet? I would be able to put a Bradley PLC near the switch if needed. If I could do this I can get a lot of machine info onto to my Scada and in my Historian At the end of the day it is easier for me to get I/O info onto bradley as 98% of our plant is Bradley Thanks, Conor

I can't flesh any of these ideas out, but I did check out What I think is the Siemens C7-365 manual and discover that it supports Siemens MPI protocol and the Profibus DP protocol. This gives you three options I can think of off the cuff. In order of personal preference. 1. From your PC running historian and such add an OPC Server to pull the Siemens Stuff in direct. 2. Get a ControlLogix Profibus Module and connect the S7s to the Logix with Profibus. This will mean programming in both the S7 and CLGX to transfer the data you want but it should work, once you learn S7 programming, Profibus setup and Logix programming. 3. Check out the Siemens CAB11 adapter which connects RS232 HMIs to Siemens S7 and might allow you to connect to RS232 connected to a ControlLogix PLC.

Hi Bob, Thanks for your suggestions. I will probably look into options 1 and 2. My historian is using FSGateway as the OPC server Conor

Here a good example from siemens's web site: http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/llisapi.dll?func=cslib.csinfo?=en&objid=23901499&caller=view I never try but I think it could help you.

Thanks for that slcman. I will look in more depth at it tomorrow