Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe E.

Transferring Siemens License keys to VMware VM

4 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm setting up a new laptop for our maintenance guys (Panasonic Toughbook). It has Win XP Pro SP3 (with a bunch of corporate IT junk) as its native OS. I've created a clean VMware VM running a clean XP Pro SP3 install. I'm using VMware Player v3.1.4 build-385536. On one copy of the VM, I have successfully installed RSLogix/RSLinx and have done some preliminary testing getting online through Ethernet/IP and our 1784-U2DHP adapter. I'm not finished testing it, but we need a good Siemens install more than another good AB install, so I made another copy of the original, clean VM. The Simatic Manager (v5.5, SP1) software installed flawlessly, but I can't seem to get the License transferred. VMware sees the USB License key in the native OS and tries to connect it to the VM, but it won't go. I get the bubble in the native OS saying that it's safe to remove (just like when I connect a regular USB flash drive to the VM) but the device never appears in the VM and never shows as "connected". A standard USB flash drive connects and disconnects just fine. I used another computer to move the license from the license key stick to a standard USB flash drive, which went fine. Now, when I connect the standard USB flash drive (that worked fine before), it appears to the host OS like it's the license key stick and the same problem occurs (VMware can't connect it to the VM). I installed just the Automation License Manager on the host OS to see if it would bring a driver for the license key with it, but nothing changed. I have poked around a little with the network transfer part, but didn't get very far. Even though it's bridged and gets a good IP address automatically, ALM in the guest OS can't find any other computers when browsing. The native OS can, but I don't really know what to do from there. I'm not a networking guru, so I don't want to poke around too much and risk breaking something. I wouldn't think it's really needed anyway. I then dug out an old yellow floppy disk with a license for Step 7-Basis v5.3. My laptop was able nicely to transfer the license from the USB key to the floppy disk (using a USB floppy drive), but I was unable to get the new VM to see the floppy drive. I actually suspect problems with the native OS since it took a couple of tries to make it show up. Even when it was there, VMware couldn't see it so couldn't connect it to the VM. Has anyone here successfully made this work? I really like the idea of using VMs to make software maintenance easier, but if it doesn't do much good if I can't activate the software. About all I got from Siemens tech support was that it "should work OK", but that they don't support virtual machines. Basically, we're on our own. By the way, I'll also need to transfer a license for WinCC Flex and maybe S7-Technology.

I have done this no problem (both for Rockwell and Siemens) the VM picked up the licence USB and any USB I have inserted into the Laptop instantly sometimes when I go between the host and the VM I would have to connect/ disconnect Can you see the USB drive on the removable devices tab? under the VM drop down Did you try connect-disconnect from host if not check in the hardware that the USB controller is present if not just click on the Add key Good luck.

I got exactly the same issue with a corporate laptop. Mcaffe virus software was blocking usb key connection to vm. Be sure your virus software don't block your connection.

The License key shows up in the "removable devices" list in VMware Player. When I tell it to "connect - disconnect from host", it disconnects from the host, but doesn't connect to the guest. No errors, just no connection. As mentioned, other USB devices work fine. I ended up doing an "Offline transfer". It took a few steps and I had to type in a long alphanumeric key, but it worked and I was able to use the software normally.