Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shauntieu

Changing controller type in mid-programming

6 posts in this topic

I received a partially written PLC program from a supplier company that was using there controller type (1756-L63 - ControlLogix) my job is to finish this program and simulate it in HMI software, but I have no hardware. I use softlogix to emulate my programs. when I modify the controller type from 1756-L63 to 1789-L60 (softlogix) in the PLC program, I get 1800 errors because of IO addressing. is there a way I can do this without creating 1800 errors? possibly tricking the IO or modifying the project .L5X file? note: the partially written plc program is massive. to start a new project with the correct controller type and re-write it is not ideal. possibly useful information: when I switch contollers all the backplane tree collapses and I have my softlogix controller there. but all the module defined data types from the controlLogix modules are still there.

If the project will no longer verify because of this: Try to reinsert similar 1756 I/O modules using the same names and slot locations. The Generic Module may also work if no close match exists. This is done simply to recreate the module-defined tags that the application logic might reference. Since the SoftLogix Controller doesn't have real world I/O control, inhibit all the modules in the I/O Configuration list. - fuzzy logic

when I delete the existing modules it breaks links with the program when I re-add the softlogix generic modules it doesnt fix the borken links Edited by shauntieu

also, did you mean reinsert similar 1789 softlogix modules to match 1756?

You're right, too intricacies due to the member specifier differences... I remember I've done that on a very small project for testing some time ago, but for a project like yours it isn't applicable. Apologize for the incorrect suggestion... - fuzzy logic Edited by fuzzy logic

Well, doing some mental exercises, I've remembered I've used RSLogix Emulate 5000 for my tests, and not SoftLogix, just because of that behavior like you've described. Did you consider that possibility ? Converting the ControlLogix project to an Emulator controller's project, will not remove modules... thus no errors... Remember, after the project is downloaded to the emulator, as the physical I/O modules are not in the chassis, to "Inhibit" the connection via the module properties;this way you can insert simulated values into the module defined tags without the Controller attempting to update or overwrite it with actual input data that's not physically there. You've just to deal with the slot position of the emulated controller, that it is strongly suggested not to be in first two slots, due to a couple of "buddies" already placed there by default: in slot 0 (RSLinx Classic) and slot 1 (RSLinx Enterprise). Hope this will help... - fuzzy logic