Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Recluse

Uploading Hardware Configuration

8 posts in this topic

CPU: IC698CPE010 Bus Controller: IC697BEM731 Remote Scanners(3): IC697BEM733 Software: Proficy Machine Edition 5.9 I've worked with AB but am new to GE. I uploaded the current program into a new project. I recieved all the logic but only the main rack hardware. The remote hardware did not upload. I did read in the help files "Coupled Hardware Configuration and Logic" where the Variable Mode on one of the I/O modules can be set to TRUE. I was going to try this. Can anyone confirm this or offer additional information. Also what is the advantage in keeping them independant? Thank you.

I can confirm that some of the modules have a parameter called "Variable Mode" by default this is set to "False" and you could change it to "True". I do not understand your question. "...what is the advantage in keeping them independent?" Keeping what independent? This Variable Mode parameter will force the use of Symbolic variables rather than the %Q (or whatever) addressing of the I/O on the module. Proficy will still assign it an address but you will need to use the "Name" or symbol for all referencing of this I/O. To make the most of this system be sure to install the latest firmware for all modules. GEIP Support web site Also get the latest updates for Proficy ME version 5.90, or better update to the latest version. Edited by RussB

See the attached file. I have project versions that include targets REMOTE_SBA1, REMOTE_SBA10, AND REMOTE_SBA2 and other versions that do not. I can go online with either version without receiving any kind of harware configuration mismatch. If I upload to a new project it updates the logic but only updates the harware configuration with the Baghouse target only.Bag House.pdf

I do not understand, please clarify what you are trying to do. What version is your software. The latest version segregates the logic and the hardware configuration.

The answer to your second question is 5.90 build 4699. Now for the first question please refer to the attachment. Document.pdf This is my third week here and I'm new to GE PLCs. We are going to add a fourth fan to our bag house. The technician here started a project for this. I was looking at the logic of the existing fans to see what kind and how much I/O would be needed for the fourth fan. This led me to the hardware configuration and to familiarize myself to the modules already in use. I expanded slot 3 where a IC697BEM731 resides and researched the modules underneath this. I found literature on the IC697BEM733(SBA1, SBA2, and SBA10). These seemed to function like an AB ControlNet module so I thought it was strange that I could not drill down to the I/O that were assigned to each of the these modules. Sooooo I went to the site and did a physical assessment to verify what was really out there etc. It was after this that I found a second project version with three additional targets(Remote_SBA1, Remote_SBA2, and Remote_SBA10) that you could expand out and see the modules underneath each. The hardware configuration listed on the second version (Bag House pdf on previous post) reflects what I found out in the field. So my question is this: How can I verify which project version is running in the CPU? When I uploaded to a new project I created it gave me the logic but ONLY the single target configuration. I want to make sure when I upload that I am receiving the logic AND the hardware configuration that currently exists in the system. I'm just not getting a warm and fuzzy feelling that this happened when I uploaded. Edited by Recluse

Now I understand, you were comparing this to Rockwell. That don't work, forget everything you know about RS stuff while working with GEIP stuff. They use completely different programmers who likely don't even know each other let alone program alike. The "Targets" in a "Project" are not interlinked in any way, so when you upload a "Target" you get the logic and/or configuration of just 1 Target. You will need to connect to each target independently to get the others. It may be better to break these up into separate "Projects" to prevent confusion. The BEM733 is a Genius Bus Controller, you can get some information on what is at each connected SBA (SerialBusAddress) but in an upload you will only get the addresses and their lengths of the produced and consumed data exchanged with each and maybe a part number if it is a GEIP device. Some devices have additional data and more can be collected with "Genius DataGrams" (Not to be confused with AB Datagrams.) HTH

Ok Thanks. That clears it up a bit. Can I reach my other targets via the ethernet port on the cpu or do I have to connect to the serial port on each of the BEM733?

You can reach the CPUs of the other targets that are on a common network, either Ethernet or serial. However the Genius network is proprietary and you will not be able to talk on it with Proficy ME developer. To configure the Genius network everything is typically done through the local CPU, it in turn passes the correct data to the BEM733 Genius Bus Controller on power up. Some Genius devices can be independently configured either with the Hand Held Monitor or with Data Grams. Genius is a world of its own, not unlike DH+ or Modbus +.