Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gordo26

Tiny Servo Motor Control

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I've been given a task at work to build a small model of a production line similar to what is in place on the plant floor. I would like to use small servo motors to rotate rollers that would roll metal plates on this mock production line. However, I also have to do this by using a PLC, this is the requirement, this project is also designed as a learning experience for me as I've only been out of college for a few months now. I'm wondering if it's possible to directly control a tiny servo motor (similar to that used in small robotics like a line following robot) with an OMRON PLC. If not is there anything someone might suggest to use that would be somewhat low in cost. Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks for your time. Gord

Sure, use a CP1L with pulse outputs to control an R7D-B (aka Smartstep II). The CP1L family could control up to 2 servos. If you need more than 2 servos, the CP1H family could control up to 4 servos. You could get a 50W 100VAC servo fairly inexpensively. You could also use small steppers to provide similar functionality (but you better check if servos are required for your project first). Steppers would be less expensive.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate the help. I don't believe that servo's are required for the project though, could you suggest a stepper motor that might be suitable for the application. I'd like something that could move slowly enough to enable an operator to walk with the line. Thanks again. Gord

Also, is there an expansion so that I could possibly control up to 8 stepper motors/servos, and is it possible to connect a 12V linear actuator (being used as a pallet lifter) to the output of a CP1H, which I believe is a 24V output? Thanks again for your time. Gord

The CP1H can switch 12 VDC as an output, but of course you have to manage your output commons well if you are mixing some 12VDC and some 24VDC. I do not have a specific stepper to recommend, but I hear that Oriental motor makes some decent stuff.