Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiner

Tag Name Change

4 posts in this topic

I am nearly finished with a project that involves two systems, each with an L63E and Panelview 1000. The customer has just come to me and requested a name change to the PLC, acknowledging that the tag names will have to be updated as well. Is there a shortcut to this or do I manually have to go through and reassign all my tags on my HMIs.

The processor's name change would not require a HMI tag modification. The tags used within the HMI application contain within their name only the name of the Shortcut to the "Runtime Path" the HMI to CPU communications should follow when running. This name is a user's choice and it doesn't have to be identical to the RSLogix 5000 Controller Name. You'd only have to reconfigure the RSLinx Enterprise "Runtime"tab and point the originally named Shortcut to the "Runtime Path" to the newly "christened" L63E controller. All your original HMI tags would be related to the master CPU just the way they were originally intended! Edited by dmargineau

Dmargineau's response is correct if you're only changing the anme of the PLC. Is your PLC tags have the PLCname in them. Example PLC_A_Bool1 and PLC_A_Bool2 and now your customer wants those tags changed to PLC_1_Bool1 and PLC_1_Bool2 then you're in for a bunch of changes. I'd suggesting using the export/import features and processing the name change in excel, but you're probably only dewaling with a PLC Name change nor a change to every tagname in the PLC. Although I've seen both done.

Thanks, Yes you are both correct....most of the tags in the HMI are not affected, it is just a processor name change. There is one tag the customer specified that reflects the processor name and is used for alarms and watchdog configs. I was in quite a hurry and have alot on my plate (like most of us) and initially was nervous this would turn into a big project.