Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparkotronic

Step 5 compress energy

5 posts in this topic

Hi, A quick question, when trying to do an online edit, the PG is asking me to compress the memory. Can I do this while the machine is in production? I seem to have forgotten everything I ever knew about S5! Cheers, Colin Edited by sparkotronic

Ignore that question. Panic over as I grew a pair and pressed yes and all was ok!

LOL. For your info- Basically, when you do an on line edit the changes are carried out in a "copy" of the block. the old block is then declared "invalid" and the copy as "valid". Eventually the memory fills up and carrying out a compress removes all the "invalid" blocks. Edited by Moggie

Haha, good man. I seem to remember doing an online edit once where I changed a call to a block that didn't exist yet. 'Stop' mode and carnage ensued. I never made that mistake again, lesson learned! In my defence, I was barely out of my apprenticeship and they let me loose with a laptop. The fools.

I did that once with a data block, great fun. Good thing is that you can waffle to most managers as they are afraid of the cream box! I used to do loads on S5, it's a bit of a forgotten art, it's the first time I've had to use it in ages. It is slowly coming back to me! I'm supposed to be ripping it out and putting in ControlLogix at some point.