Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pulsar2003

Setting up an encoder

5 posts in this topic

Hello For learning pupose I purchased a while back on ebay and encoder AB 845T-DZ22BCN-C and the 1746-HSCE. From the page 2-1(of the attached manual) I get more details from the encoder. So it is a flange mount with a 3/8" shaft (who cares for now!!! ); 5 VDC push-pull output(reference to input voltage); Channel A and B; 7 pin connector; 1000 cycles per revolution. Here is the Pin out: A: Channel A output; B channel B output; C channel Z output; D + DC input; E internally connected to D; F DC return; G no connection. For the Input card JW1 is set at 10mSec. SW1: I need to set it as Single ended. SW2: set all four microswitches to off as it is a 5 VDC output (4.5-10 VDC). The HSCE card is used and still has wires hook to it. There is a wire on VDC, One on A+, one on B+, one on Z+; another jumps from DC com to A-, B- and Z-. Out 0, 1,2 ,3; LS com, LS 5, 12 and 24 VDC are not hooked. From what I understand Pin A goes on the A+ input, as for B to B+ and Z to Z+. The +5VDC power supply will be connected to the pin D as well to the VDC on the input card. And the last pin F, DC return will be connected to the -5VDC of the power supply and the DC com of the input card with jumpers for A-, B- and Z-. I'm using AB's HSCE manual: 1746-um006_-en-p.pdf. There is a drawing of the inputs and outputs on page 51 and on page 56 the single end wiring schematics. I hope I got that correct. The next steps happens in RSLogix500 where I need to build a N7 file that will be loaded into the M0 or M1 files. M0:e.1: the "e" is for the input slot? It is easy to understand if it is on a local rack. Slot 1; e=1. If there is a second rack beside the first with a C7 wire, the first slot is 14 etc. What if it is on a remote rack? How can I figure it out? Don't go into too much details because I will probably need help with 1747 SN and ASB cards. I'm not too sure how to configure file M0:e.1 bit 9,10,11 for the input type. My next worry is how to use this in the ladder. This is related to the forum topic: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=18331&st=0&gopid=104118entry104118 . If I need a +/-35 degrees these values will be laded to a N7(integer file) and move to the static output as a value to attain and then the oven will decelerate. Did I get this right? Now once the encoder is installed on the machine and I'm ready to get things going, I understand that the oven will be at it's horizontal state and the the encoder will be reset to make sure that it's a 0. Else than that it should never be touched. Makes any sens? Time to stop because it will be overwhelming to read. I'd rather ask questions as problems arises than anticipating them. Thanks.

I am having a hard time visualizing the control system you are working with. It sounds like you have a conveyor running through an oven and you want the conveyor to index and stop and repeat the same index time after time. At present you have a proximity picking up a flag to do the stop, but you would like to use the encoder to trigger the stop. Is that about right?

I am having a hard time visualizing the control system you are working with. It sounds like you have a conveyor running through an oven and you want the conveyor to index and stop and repeat the same index time after time. At present you have a proximity picking up a flag to do the stop, but you would like to use the encoder to trigger the stop. Is that about right?

Let's start with just getting the encoder wired up right. 5V push-pull single-ended circuits are the least ideal, but they should work. You mentioned a -5V on your power supply: don't use it. You need just 5V and 0V (DC Common). The 1746-HSCE is one of the top five most complicated modules in the SLC family, and on a RIO network its even more complicated. But the most important thing to know you'll be using it in Sequencer mode. Let's talk the actual moves that you're trying to measure, and from the sequence of events or pseudocode we can develop SLC ladder logic. Edited by Ken Roach

As for the ladder logic...any suggestions? I haven't found any downloadable examples here. I'm also aware that M0 files have to be set up. I point out that it's been quite a few weeks since I read AB's literature on the 1746-HSCE. Can you tell me why it is complicated to have a 1746-HSCE on a RIO? Thanks. Edited by Pulsar2003