Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiner

Panelview

6 posts in this topic

I am working a project with a new Panelview Plus 1000. I had everything set all all well and good, loaded project and could make changes, view changes in states when toggling bits in the PLC, the whole nine yards. Now, suddenly, the panelview is no longer an accessable device. It shows in the tree of Linx and Enterprise, but with a red X through it. I made no changes recently that should have affected this. From my Command line I cannot get a ping response either. I have tried different cables, and different ports on the unmanaged switch I am using. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Check the ip address if your laptop. Edited by Michael Lloyd

done and done, the laptop was never disconnected from the switch all day, making tweaks to plc and panelview program, could see everything in the tree. In other words, communications were established and working fine. Then as i said suddenly the panelview is no longer accessable.

Wow, PING doesn't work ? That's really surprising. The most common "I lost communication with my PanelView" issue I run into is that the Ethernet driver on the Runtime/Target side of RSLinx Enterprise gets accidentally deleted. The Ethernet driver is what makes the terminal visible in RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, so you need to re-enable it by loading a project with an Ethernet driver, or setting RSLinx Enterprise communications to default on the terminal itself. With PING not working... that shouldn't ever happen. It means that either the physical Ethernet link is broken, or the TCP/IP stack isn't running at all. You need to troubleshoot at the lowest levels, with the link lights and the cables, though it sounds like you've already done that to a degree. For me, the definitive test of basic Ethernet functionality is to cycle power on the device (whether PanelView, PLC, or other) while running Wireshark on a port on the local switch. Working Ethernet devices always send an ARP broadcast, at the very very least. If you see a DHCP broadcast too, for example, you know the device has gone to DHCP mode.

Thanks that makes sense, I am concerned that the port shut down but I was not sure of possible causes. I did not make any changes to the Runtime configuration but I will make sure to go over them again. I went as far as directly hooking a cable up to the port that I had just speed tested on my internet link so I was sure the cable was good, and still nothing. I was curious (I don't play with panelviews much) if there was a way to get into a command mode on the screen and do ping testing. I did set the panel back to default after the loss of comms

Just a follow up. I wrote everything down on all the config screens and all my addressing schemes and masks looked good. Enterprise was still installed. The Runtime config was proper and allowed for simulation on the laptop without problems. So I went with the old clear everything, set to defaults, wipe the flash memory and program and started over. Working fine now, dang gremlins.