Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom749

The symbol meaning

5 posts in this topic

What are the meanings of the symbols in the attached drawing? For example switches with .... Thanks for your reply in advance. Edited by Tom749

It is a three-phase manual motor protector with aux contact (circuit breaker for use with motors with a manual on/off button).

Hard to tell the connection to the auxiliary contact from that drawing, but dforsythe is correct. That is the formal symbol for a 3-phase manual motor protector: magnetic trip, thermal trip and manual disconnecting/reset means. Q1 is not a label I would expect for that, more like MSP#, but I suppose different industries have different standards. Edited by ianbuckley

The -Q1 "label" conforms to the iec standard for the marking of electrical equipment - iec 61346-2:2000 Check this link for useful information http://www.wiringman....html#wp1069167

Yes, I should have remembered the European IEC code. They went to all the trouble to make relay and contactor the same symbol for all those years, now they have changed it so the MSP and contactor have the same symbol. Sometimes those committees are just in business to keep themselves in business. Everything must have a one letter designation. But wait, we want to rework the one letter meanings... Sorry, Q still means transistor to me.