Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bering C Sparky

Connecting a ML1400 to a PV+600

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, I have a new MicroLogix 1400 cat # 1766-L32BXB ser B rev A and a A.B. PanelView Plus 600 cat # 2711P-T6M20D ser D and a unmanaged switch ALLEN BRADLEY STATIX 2000 cat 1783-US05T. I have been asked to set this up for use as tank level indicator for 5 of our fresh water tanks onboard the ship. This will be my first time setting up a logic controler and panel view from start to finish. So far my experience has only been making changes to existing controlers and PV's that are already up and running. Was hoping some of you with experience in this would reply and get me headed in the right direction. My first hurdle will be to get the ethernet communication set up so I can see and download to each device via ethernet. Just pulling this stuff out of the box so I am going to start poking at it with a stick, look forward to gaining some knowlage from all replies.

The good news is that both of those devices out-of-the-box will support "BOOTP/DHCP" automatic configuration of IP addresses. RA installs a "BOOTP/DHCP Utility" with RSLinx Classic, and it's the easiest way to do the initial setup of the controller and PV+ IP addresses. Make sure your computer has a static IP, then connect up the computer and switch, start up the Utility, then turn on the PV+ and then the MicroLogix. You can also set the IP address of both devices from their built-in configuration screens; on the MicroLogix it's the little LCD screen. Once you do so, you can disable BOOTP / DHCP and just use those static addresses. The most common address space for any private network is 192.168.1.xx with subnet 255.255.255.0. The last octet of the IP addresses has to be unique for each device. A distinction; MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers have the IP address of their Ethernet port as part of the user program itself; when you download the user program it sets the IP address. PanelView terminals don't; it's set using the onboard configuration screen or using BOOTP/DHCP. ControlLogix family controllers also don't keep the IP address in the controller program. It's set using RSLinx Classic or RSLogix 5000 (or BOOTP/DHCP) and stored in nonvolatile memory in the Ethernet module itself. Next let's discuss the sensors in your tanks (Float ? Ultrasonic ? Differential pressure ?) and the voltage signal or current-loop signal they put out, and how that's going to physically and electrically connect to the MicroLogix. Do you just have one sensor per tank ? Are your tanks baffled to prevent pitch and roll from moving too much water ?

Hello Ken, Thanks for the Quick reply The sensors I will be using are pressure transducers with a 4 - 20 ma output. One sensor per tank. ( The tanks are not a linear shape so there will be lots of scaling involved ) Will have an 8 point universal analog input expansion card on the 1400 ( Spectrum cat #1762sc-IF8u) I am certain that the tanks will have some sort of baffels in them as they are 35,000 gal each and I am sure that not controling the free surface for that much water oboard a ship in rough seas could lead to a scary senario. I will conferm this with the Chief Engiineer though. As far as the slosh factor goes I was planning to write the program as taking several measurements about 30 seconds apart then update the PV display with the average mesurement say every 5 miniutes. ( I have never done this before but I think it will be fun experimenting with it.) What do you think. Any sugestions for a smater soultion. Thanks for the Info, will try to set up the equipment now and let you know how it goes.