Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Setting up a 1756-DNB without 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD

4 posts in this topic

I think I already know the answer to this...but hey, maybe I'll learn something new. Is there any other ways to configure a 1756-DNB/B module without a DeviceNET converter box? I don't have mine anymore. I had a 1770-KFD module but not any more. It's a series B so I don't have the USB port on this one. I might have to borrow either a 1770-KFD / 1784-PCD or buy another one. Just checking...

Browsing through the backplane is the easiest mechanism. Any connection to the ControlLogix backplane will let you connect to the 1756-DNB and the other devices on the network; serial through a controller, or through a 1756-CNB or 1756-ENBT or other network connection. Even a DH+ connection will work. Remember the magic little button on the 1756-DNB Series A and B modules; when the power is off on the network port, press and hold it to set the Data Rate. With the 24VDC power on, press and hold it to set the Node Number. You might need to have a powered network with at least one other device connected to the 1756-DNB in order to download a scanlist to it over the backplane. I'm not certain about that.

Catch 22 then. Once I figure out why I can't get online through the ENBT, I'll be able to get online with the DNB. Great. LOL....

Now that I have this problem fixed: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=20796 I am able to configure my DeviceNET Master card no problems using the Ethernet IP driver / RS Linx Classic 2.55, a crossover cable and RS Networks. Works great.