Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrenchforhire

Windows 7

3 posts in this topic

I have heard rumours that Rockwell software will not play nice with windows 7, other people tell me that virtual box cures all of the problems. It is time to get a new PC, the IT guy wants to get the latest and greatest with windows 7, I'm stuck in the past and still use and like XP. Please share your experiences with 7 or virtual box. Thanks, John

I have RSLinx 2.55, and RSLogix 5, 500 and 5000 running on my dell M90 laptop with Win7pro. Had to turn off the Aero Interface , lower teh resolution and I can't run RSLinx as a service, I also think I had to grant some registry permissions manually, but it works. Seems to take a very long time to check its licensing. Odd but ...Checking Activation... that sees to be where it pauses for the longest. I poked at it a long time to make it run so I dont recall the short list of what I did. It was over a year ago. Rockwell should have addressed this by now but I doubt they did. Not a glowing reccommendation. I use Win7 wherever possible, but this was not something I would have done by choice. I dont think they officailly supportr virtualization either but I imagine that would work as well. If this is for use with Rockwell stuff, my advice would be to get the new box loaded with 64bit cpu and tons of memory, but stick to XP32 bit. Get Win7 when Rockwell supports Win7 and then rebuild the box (if Rockwell then supports 64bit do that too). That'll be shortly after Win8 comes out!

Virtualbox works the same as Virtual PC (Windows product) except that you can have multiple instances running, and that the USB support is somewhat inferior. The current incarnation of Logix 5000 at least and RS-Linx Classic will work on it except that there might be some permission stuff you have to do and you have to turn off the darned UAC. If you don't do these steps, RS-Linx still runs but it will tend to act like a server and the console interface will hide from you. Frankly performance is so crappy with Windows Vista/7 that I dumped it in favor of Ubuntu. Virtualbox works identically and Rockwell software is happy to run within this environment with no issues. I did not have any success getting it to run on Wine, but since Rockwell software is fairly closely bound to hardware interfacing I'm not surprised. Officially of course Rockwell still claims that they don't really support any of the above.