Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gerrett

Help - major Virus issue

4 posts in this topic

Ok - major situation. I have had a computer running for the past 4 years, setup with Siemens step 7, WinCC flexible 5.3 and SQL, with all of the nessaessary licences, running for one of my R+D engineers/programmers, seems that someone has gone to NASTY sites and gained a nice Trojan/Worm virus !!!!!!!!!!!! This computer did not cooperate any more, so I handed it to an IT guy, he ran an offline rescue disc to try and salvage this computer, being a newbee this IT guy deleted all of the coropted files. Guess what – all of the *.exe files were corupted so now the computer had to be windows repaired. Windows, IE, Office and other apps work fine now, all except all of the Siemens apps.!!!!!! Ok the Question, can I reload all of the Siemens software, without killing the existing project and Licences, or can someone tell me where The Siemens software keeps the existing projects / Licences / information files??? Or if you have any other thoughts on the matter. Ps, the engineer/programmer used to do a save of the project everytime he changed somthing, but where are these files kept in the Computer ????

Grrett, 1) If the programmer hasn't asved the projects in another folder you can find it in Siemens default folder: C:\Program Files\Siemens\Step7\S7Proj 2) Check if you can run Automation License Manager under either Siemens Automation or SIMATIC from Windows\Start\All Programs If you can't retrieve them but you have a proof that it is bought from Siemens, You can cotact Siemens to get a new license. Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca/blog

I cant help it. I have to comment that a laptop, and one that is shared between several users, is not where projects should be stored without backing them up. Windows and STEP7 and the licenses can be reinstalled or recovered. But the project files are gone when they are gone. This time it was a virus. Next time the laptop may be stolen, or run over by a truck, or the harddisk may be helplessly corrupted, or someone may goof up, or .... ..... etc. If you can get the project files out of the PC, consider yourself lucky.

Thank you all for the Information, by the way this wasnt a laptop - but a Desk PC at a remote site. I understand the importance of keeping a backup copy, but this site being an on going R&D one and having different programmers doing 'on the fly' adjutsments its hard to keep track of the most recent version. BUT NO MORE, - once bitten .....