Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phenesc

Suggestion for hardware on a servo upgrade

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if I could get some recomendations for a servo upgrade we are going to complete. I am trying to get information for a "fair" decision analysis. Mitsubishi is at a dis-advantage because the PLC hardware and peer to peer is all rockwell. Here is tha pplication: Currently there is a motion controller tied to three independent indexing axes. The motion controller talks to a SLC5/05 through ethernt IP. The SLC does not have to be replaced at this time but if it did, it would have to communicate through control-net (peer to peer) network. The two different communication options available are E/IP and devicenet. I was looking at going with Q170 motion CPU (more than I need but would replace the SLC and have ethernet ready) The problem is the control-net communication. I was looking at MR-J3 servo amplifiers with motors. I would then recommend communication through devicenet (another card). Another option that was suggested was to go with a QCPU and a QD75, which we currently use. Any other suggestions or selling points? The rockwell solution is basically replace the system with three E/IP drives (kinetixs 300) and your good to go. I am a little nervous about the drives because Rockwell does not manufacture them and the documentation is quite weak (very new also). I think there actually rebranded LENZE drives. I am trying real hard to find a case for mitsu, but I am not getting there. Any suggestions on setups would be appreciated. Regards, Craig

Why not use Q170MCPU and the ETH-1000 bridge from ICC? It converts Mitsubishi Ethernet to Ethernet/IP.

That is an option but I do not like to use throw another vendor in the mix and have additional configurations. It would be nice if Mitsu would support some E/IP. They support it on the GOT's already. I know it is a turf war and as our regional guy says, Mitsubishi wants to promote it's bus options and not follow others. That is comendable but, I have overlooked Mitsu several times because it seems like every manfacturere wants all or nothing and if you have one it makes it a giant leap to change. I appreciate the advice and will pull the numbers together for that solution. Sorry for the rant, I just like the mitsu products and it is really hard to justify a solution alone on hardware when the integration cost makes up such a large portion of the cost. Does Mitsu north america sell the ICC product? I saw it mentioned once but I had to do a google search to actual find the website. Thanks for the input, Craig

Mitsubishi is working on Ethernet/IP. And they helped developer the ICC device, but they do not sell it.

After seeing the new Kinetix product, I too was suspicious of it being a Lenze product. When I asked the guys from Rockwell specifically about Lenze, they admitted it was a 'joint venture'. They assured me that Rockwell drove the spec and it was much more reliable than previous Lenze products I have used. Of course, they are going to say that. As far as the motion goes, IF you were able to change PLC platforms, I would seriously consider a CompactLogix with the SERCOS card. I have done several apps with ControlLogix and they have worked well and were not too bad to integrate.