Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IamJon

Mlx 1100 message to ethernet radio

13 posts in this topic

I'm copying this from a post I made in another thread so I don't hijack that one. This is what I have so far in my message : Channel 1 on the 1100 is Ethernet. Comm command I think should be CIP Generic. Data Table Address - put the first WORD of your data, not bit (as read in instruction help) Mine is N7:1 Size - 1 for one 16 bit byte. Extended Routing Info file - create a new data file for this. Must be a new thing? The help doesn't say anything about the service, and the multi hop seems to only be peer to peer with Clx devices? I have errors on my messages, so I can't even DL it into the processor to try by trial and error. Anyone have an example of how to set up this type of message? Thanks.

The command you're going to use depends on the target device. You mentioned an Ethernet radio... what model of radio ? Are you messaging to the radio itself, or something that is connected to the radio that emulates an Allen-Bradley controller ? The Series A operating system of the MicroLogix 1100 supported only PLC and SLC addressing modes; one of the additions in the Series B firmware was the CIP Generic. All MicroLogix 1100 controllers can be flash upgraded, and MicroLogix firmware is downloadable at no charge: http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/.../downloads.html Before you try to upgrade the controller, let's figure out what the target device is.

Target device is a ViPR ethernet radio. I'm sending a few words to it to be sent to the Master Telemetry Unit, which sends to another 1100, which sends to an Autocon or Raco autodialer. All ethernet.

I'm getting a revised program put together on a series B controller.... It's set up for CIP Generic on a series B 1100 for after I flash it. EDIT: The Service, and class/instance/attribute is what I need help with as far as I know. Dear lord. Is no one responding because they know this is a cluster? It seems I'm supposed to handshake with the radio. Another integrator is programming the radios and I have no info on how they did it. ROAD_PS_1100_Messages.RSS Edited by IamJon

I'm trying to do a similar setup but on a 1400Ser.A and read from a Controllogix. I made some headway today and it looks as if this will work using channel1,multihop but I have to enter some type refernce# can't think of the exact term but according to help file it should be set to #51. But it will not except it or any other # and I keep getting the similar errors. I will note them as I work on this.In short I feel your pain. If I find out how to make this work I will share info as these should be similar.

Are you using CIP Generic? I thought with CLX to MLX you can use 500 for the message type? If you do it from the CLX, it should be pretty easy. Just do a read, I don't think you need to write from the 1400. The tricky part is getting your address down. You have to point to the backplane... I'd post an example, but I can't open my old code due to licensing issues. Only using the freeware right now.

Why I can't remember what I have done today is beyond me. I will have to look.I have never message data before so this is all new to me. I guess I was lucky but unlucky in some ways. You mentioned that I have to point to the back plane I don't follow this. Can't I message the CLX from its ENBT card address? I need to document and post what I have done because i'm stumped.

OK, back up, take a deep breath and start over. I looked up the ViPR and you are not trying to message to the radio. Repeat: You are not trying to message to the radio. Think of the radios collectively as another Ethernet switch, routing Ethernet traffic from a device connected to one port to a device connected to another port but at a much slower speed. Internally it's more complex than that but for PLC messaging purposes that's gets you started. The radio programmer is programming the radios for power, frequency and other functions. Without seeing the system design, I think your message needs to be targeted to that other ML1100.

This is my thread from last year. It should answer your questions. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...&hl=message Ha. So I was wrong. 1 is for the backplane, 2 is for the ethernet port for the enbt. My memory fails me. Search function doesn't. Edited by IamJon

Huh..... So if I have [RTU mlx]---[radio] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ [repeater] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ [radio]-----[MTU mlx] --- is ethernet ~ ~ ~ is radio transmission You think I should be pointing to the IP ADDRESS of the MTU mlx? And the radio knows the IP and will route the data to it? Could you link where you got this impression? I'm supposed to get the messaging done tomorrow :-|

A Google search on "vipr radio" turned up this: ViPR Ethernet radio data sheet. Did you make any progress?

I called their tech support and they agreed with your statement. I installed the programs but didn't have time to get everything up and running. By the time I realized some things I had wrong, I had to run across town to change it, and we have 3 plc's to change. I should have it running Monday morning. Then on to the PS control.