Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

CompactLogix 1769-L35E firmware flash

2 posts in this topic

After replacing a failed L5335E CompactLogix PLC with one off the shelf, the new PLC displayed "IO not responding". The communications between the PLC and PanelView console was also not working. Therefore, I determined to first upgrade the firmware from 12.32 to 13.19.1. Using ControlFLASH 4.00.090 to update the firmware resulted in a failed firmware update and subsequent irreparable PLC. The first 10114 blocks transmitted properly and the following power-up was occurred in less than 10 seconds. After the transmission of the second 4502 blocks of firmware (sn# 001D6006), the Polling for power-up, exceeded the 180 seconds, at witch time the "Failed to communicate to the target device. The communications request timed out." Now I am left with an unrecoverable PLC. Has anyone experience this before? I have upgraded firmware a dozen times with no issues, until now. Could using a USB to serial dongle cause this to happen? I recieved a new PLC today and will update the firmware tomorrow. Isn't the firware supposed to be updated, along with the entire processor image when booting up from the flash card? Once the PLC becomes operational, is there any idea of what could be causing the "IO not responding" error? Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I have had this same problem when updating the GLX, CLX partner PLC's using a USB to serial adapter. As far as the I/O not responding, it could really be anything. Drives, HMI, anything else on that network.