Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparx

1746-pic xp issues

8 posts in this topic

HI guys HELP. cant get my pic to run under windows xp. have a dell latitude600 with serial port. unloaded rslinx. reloaded 2.4 getting errors. tried to search the forum, but no responce. any know of update or work around. i also tried compatibility mode on linx itself. no difference. updated to 2.41 same responce. it worked once. reloaded an 502. fired up today n nothing. maybe something to do with server mode ??? im stuck. need a hand here. shut down. thanks in advance. OPPS SORRY 1747_PIC mybad it says there is a kernel error. thats bad. under linx pro - driver is stopped. can i use linx lite. is there a difference with the key/pro/ver # / xp. ??? Edited by sparx

The 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver has been discussed at tremendous length on this forum and on the Rockwell Automation forum and Knowledgebase. First, stop messing around with five-year-old versions of RSLinx. Get version 2.56 and start from there. Second, determine if you're running XP SP3. If so, go directly to Forum threads about getting the SP2 driver back. You can mess around with RSLinx as a service and various serial drivers and service packs and Linx versions but the essential problem is that this driver requires hardware access that is very difficult to provide under Windows. The complete solution is to use a USB to DH485 interface, specifically the 1747-UIC. It works. If you are genuinely in a shutdown (why do people still do those over Christmas !?!) and are pinched on this, call Rockwell Automation and get somebody with a proper toolkit onsite. That's what I do for a living, and I'm sitting at home posting on the Forum.

Season Greeting to you Ken. Well first off, we dont have a big budget too keep buying Everything we need or want. that would be sweet. second xp2 third I did lots of searches for the pic with little results forth I dont/ havent need much help with stuff until now and thought the rockwell forum was shut down - so never tried fifth - thanks for the heads up about the uic . i will look into that. sixth - im sure your on salary Ken. wouldn't you rather be sitting at home in your kozy chair as opposed to driving 1000 miles during the holidays. finally for today though, i guess I will loadup an old laptop and go that route. fastest way i can think of. and will phone my guys in the queen city. ttfn.

RSLinx Lite 2.56 is what you need, and it is free. Versions 2.40, 2.41, 2.42, and 2.43 came out about the same time as Windows XP did, and they represent early efforts to get the PIC driver working with this XP hardware abstraction layer. The current version of RSLinx represents you best chance at getting the driver working. Buying a 1747-UIC is well worth the money if you have even a few SLC controllers with DH485. It will cut your protocol and driver and version and OS problems to almost zero.

ah Ken. Your the greatest. I'm gonna nominate you for good guy of the year. It might be short lived but better late than never huh. cheers.

My apologies, I did not read all of the posts in this thread. But, the PIC driver has a check box that is usually checked to get the device to work with the lengthy handshaking with W2000 and up. If you delete this driver without first unchecking that box, you have temporarily shot your foof off because you cannot get back in to release the comm port. If this is the case, right click on "My Computer" >> Device Manager >> Open serial ports and delete the port. Reboot and the comm port should reload and you are back in business. PIC modules are the kiss of death, but if that is all you have, use it with caution. Tim Gates PLC Professor

Hi also I recomend to see the technote atached I got one costumer whit plany of SLC on plant and first time I try to use the 1747-UIC got no comunication whit SLC's but I use the cable recomended on technote and all work fine. note that wirw # 3 and # 6 are not conected to RJ 45 conectors cable_ab.pdf

Hello and Happy New Year 2010. Just to update. Ken had mentiomed that the pic has to be assigned a bit in order to get the thing to talk. at least that is my understanding. in the old days of basic commands and dos software vs windows (dos 6+) it is harder to get the assigned (i think irq #) to work with the driver when and when it wants. If you still have a parrell printer or devise and it is running and takes over the pc, i think thats when its waiting for a responce. so the communications is important. as with a serial device and or modem. the modems i believe need a irq to set up comm correctly. I ordered a Dell laptop with a serial port because of these issues and was not impressed when it would not work, be it dos, programming, or what ever. then it occured to me that on my laptop the modem is disconnected or inactive when the power cord is unhooked. so i fired up the laptop without the powercord and that left a spot for the pic n serial to converg. it worked fine. Now that was with my laptop which HAS a serial port. NOT an adapter. Thanks to those that responded and good luck to those just tuning in. btw: i will be buying a 1747-uic and will try it. and keep posting back. the laptop wont work forever. :) cheers.