Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uglyduct

RSNetWorx- More recent Demo version available?

6 posts in this topic

Have a CompactLogix system with a 1769-SDN module (bought used). Trying to setup so it will communicate with a RedLion HMI to prove to customer it can be done. Using RSNetworx demo (Version 3.21) downloaded from Rockwell automation site to do Devicenet setup. Following error message for the 1769-SDN module occurs when doing Network/Online/Browze......ect... : "Node:00 The Following error occurred parsing the EDS File: 'Invalid Entry in the MemoryTables contact your vendor for updated EDS files." Went online and found latest EDS file (0001000C00690200.eds), go thru registration process, seems to be ok, but still get same error message and gray "?" when trying to do Network/Online/......ect. My problem seems very similar to previous posters problem: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopi...d&pid=68020 Previously suggested solution was to get a later version of RSNetworx, implying there is a later version of the demo to be had. Does anyone know where this later version can be obtained online?

Update just went into the EDS file with a text editor and for the heck of it changed [1_Scanner] MemoryTables = 4; $ Memory Tables for either CompactLogix or MicroLogix TO [1_Scanner] MemoryTables = 1; $ Memory Tables for either CompactLogix or MicroLogix Now while in Networx, if I go Network/Online/ browze path ...... they module appears to be seen and there is no error message. Maybe I've fixed my problem.

RSNetworx for DeviceNet is on version 9 now. For reasons that I don't understand, Rockwell Software has a disused "downloads" section that includes a bunch of 5+ year obsolete software. You see posts on this forum and PLCTalk all the time from people who have downloaded these and want support or features in them and don't understand that they are not using the actual Rockwell Automation software update website. RSNetworx for DeviceNet is distributed as part of a DeviceNet Starter Kit and will run for Node 0 through 5 without activation. You can very likely get an unactivated copy from your local RA distributor or RA sales office. On a related note: I very strongly recommend that you require your vendors to have their devices ODVA Conformance Tested. I have been through enough problems with products that never really left R&D mode and were being sold without testing that I refuse to attempt to use a device that doesn't have an ODVA Conformance Test check-mark. If users won't push their vendors for ODVA conformance testing, they deserve all the problems and "DeviceNet doesn't work" complaints they get down the road.

Ken Thanks for the reply. My distributor won't break the software out of the demo kit so it would cost me over $2,000 to get. Guess I'm going to have to buy full blown version of software after all and wait wait wait wait for burn to order disc to arrive - was hoping to avoid this. Edited by uglyduct

I second this. Took me having to make a trip all the way to Asia to replace some products that we're conformance tested to learn my lesson...

If you were my customer, I'd be interested in getting you using this technology, so you might use DeviceNet hardware I sell in the future. But if you're buying used hardware and then looking for support from the distributor to connect it to competitive hardware, I can empathize with his reluctance. I guess that's a commercial issue between you and them. I don't know either of you so I can't comment.