Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slcman

Read PowerFlex 40 fault with 22COMM-E

12 posts in this topic

When a powerflex 40 is faulted, I would like to read fault #. I know how to access all parameter in the drive but not sure witch parameter is tha active fault value...it is d007? I did something similar in the past in DSI modbus, the adress was 8449 (0 when no fault in the drive, fault # when drive is faulted). Thanks Edited by slcman

I believe that is the last active fault. It doesn't clear when the fault is cleared. You will have to reference the fault bit in the status bits also.

I'm not look looking for the last active fault. I need current active fault.

That's what I actually meant. This is the current (if there currently is a fault) or the previous (if there now is no fault). You'll have to add logic based on the fault status bit. There is no location similar to the MODBUS accessible one (at least noted in the manuals) which has a fault code if there currently is a fault but is zero if there is no fault. I wonder if the drive does the logic when the MODBUS request is made or if there are hidden drive locations which hold this info For our displays we have one display, visible if the fault bit is true, containing the fault message. We also have another, visible if the fault bit is false, saying "No Fault" (also in the PLC logic we then don't actively ask for the fault code) Edited by b_carlton

You've got the right fault number. Just write a CIP MSG block to get it. The 22-COMM-E manual explains it fairly well. Don't bother with the manuals that come with the drive and the Ethernet card. Get online with AB's literature library (literature.rockwellautomation.com) which is free and open and get the user manuals off there. They are MUCH better than the manuals that come with the hardware.

IT's work! I did few test today and everything work. I just want to share hint to member: I use 22COMM-E in multi drive mode. For be able to configure 22COMM-E with drive executive, you MUST configure the adapter in singledrive mode and when done, turn multidrive switch on. I lost few hour by trying to communicate with the adapter in multidrive mode before do their config.

SLCMAN - Care to share an example. I've got 2 big Ethernet Drives projects being started here over the holidays and your learning would prove helpful to me.

Here a example. I left only drive comm logic, I put a lot of comment for describe how program work. For be able to control drive thru logic command word, parameter #36 must be set at 5-comm. Same for speed ref, parameter #38 must be set to comm for be able to control speed ref thru comm. 22COM-E manual is good start : http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um004_-en-p.pdf Use one 22COMM-E per drive is easy to program and comm is faster but more expensive. In multidrive mode 22COMM-E can control up to five drive, a good way to reduce cost. In multidrive mode, drive are connected together in DSI modus protocol as powerflex manual describe. One of these drive have ethernet adapter 22COMM-E. All comm use the same adapter so comm is slower (depend how drive is connected) see page 7-2 in 22COMM-E manual. In the controller, I created a user-Define Data type name Powerflex40. I use it for put all data I need for control drive, you can add you own tag. I configure the drive and adapter thru ethernet with drive executive lite, (created RSLink ethernet device driver). Drive explorer lite cannot communicate on ethernet. Like I say in previous post, don't forget to configure drive in single drive mode before turn the DIP sw in multidrive...I lost many hour to found how to configure drive! Really easy to do, all parameter of 22COMM-E is listed as a drive in drive executive software. In multidrive mode, you must use ethernet module CIP-Generic. Chapter 4 explain in detail how to configure ethernet adapter. If you change controller, you must reenter path in communication tab in all msg box. The project work, I test it. Rockwell don't recommend to write parameter in Eeprom too ofter, can cause dammage to Eeprom when reach maximum write cycle.Put 1 in paramter 207 Comm write mode in RAM instead save. This warning is not for Speed reference and logic command write. Wish help a bit, don't hesitate if you have any question. Comm_example.ACD

To summarize The 22COMM-E gives you from each drive automatically: Output - a control bits word and a frequency command word, Input -A status bits word and a 'current frequency' word. To get at anything else all the parameters from all the drives are stacked in a linear list, the parameters for the second drive being offset by a constant after the first etc. You can read from any of these by an explicit message (you'll have to calculate the parameter location) but don't expect incredibly high speed response. The info must be read by the adapter over the RS485 DSI link then provided via Ethernet. Also as slcman emphasizes, try to avoid writing to these locations (accessed by explicit messaging). You are writing directly to the NVRAM, as opposed to the command and frequency information noted above. Absolutely do not set up a 'write all the time' message block to a location. Generally, read what's there, if it's not what you want then re-write it. But it should not be done often.

I took few minute to check adapter on rockwell update web site. New adapter firmware can read multiple parameter in one msg instruction by using a scattered messaging. here the manual, p6-6 describe scattered msg: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um010_-en-p.pdf

SLCMAN - Thanks for the post and the hints. I'm working 3rds covering for Paternity Leave of a colleague and the "house has been on fire" the past few nights. If things cool/calm down I'll go over your example, thanks again.