Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pirate

E1043 alarms to SMS using GSM modem

9 posts in this topic

I have a E1043 connected to my PLC I have configured it to send alarms directly to email via the LAN. However as 3G is not a certaintity I have got a westermo GDW11 GSM modem and have figured out how to send alarms to SMS by sending script to the modem as a print command. The trouble is that I have to create a text block for every alarm about 100 or so. Even so this would not be too much trouble until I go on leave and then would need to change the mobile number on each alarm. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can maybe automate this to a task that can be done from the HMI? Many Thanks

I would connect the GDW-11 to the PLC and use it to send messages instead, then you can use the HMI's ASCII texts to insert alarm texts and telephone numbers into the correct registers in the PLC. What programming software do you use, and what PLC do you use?

You can also use the ASCII-object in the text block, this way you can dynamically change the phone number that should receive the SMS.

Thanks very much for your response. The idea of inputing the mobile number using an ASCII block is the way forward I believe. However I cannot figure out how to get that ASCII block out and into the AT Command which is used in the text block. The AT Command looks like this and works very well. AT+CMGS=”MOBILE NUMBER HERE”%%13ALARM TEXT HERE%%26 I have created a text block and triggered by the alarm contact on my PLC and I know this works. Now I need to understand how to get the ASCII block (D4096)into the space MOBILE NUMBER HERE Any ideas

Simply insert an ASCII object into the correct place in your text.

Thanks a lot for your help I finally got it to work it seems as before the number was "00756789032" I substituted the ASCII block inside of the inverted comas but when using the ASCII block you do not need the inverted comas. Now that that is sorted does anyone know how I can get the messages sent to two numbers? Many Thanks

I would have a "SystemPage" in the HMI panel where you can place 'all' (1/2/3 or more) phone numbers into ASCII objects which are referenced to an array in the PLC. Then, you will have an array of phone numbers in the PLC - so far so good. Then, when you send your SMS, you start with the first number in the PLC array, move this number into the ASCII object in your text-page (the one that the text will actually be sent to), send the SMS. Wait xxx seconds and then move to the next phone number in the array..... Was my English confusing??

Your english is better than my Norwegian? Thank you very much for your help and I think I understand what I need to do. I have not done any work on number arrays with the A series but don't see this as a problem. Thanks

BTW: Mitsubishi offers modems than can send email, SMS, fax without need to change the PLC program. Datalogging and webserver is also included. They use the PLC protocol (AL2, FX, Format1, Modbus RTU) to check PLC status to trigger the messages. With this solution it should be much easier for you create your project.... see Mitsubishi Intelligent Industrial Modem