Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sebu

Data from RSView 32 to OPC

4 posts in this topic

Hi , I would like to know how to get datas from Rsview 32 to OPC server which is installed in remote PC in same network? Sebastian C

You must have RS-Linx Gateway if you are using RS-Linx, and you must open up DCOM to support remote connections. Then you can browse to and connect to the OPC server on the first machine. RS-Linx documents this quite well as do the competitors (Matrikon and Kepware). The procedure for configuring DCOM is fairly lengthy so read the manuals first. Based on the cost of RS-Linx Gateway alone, and the stability and scalability, I'd suggest taking a long, hard look at Matrikon or Kepware's OPC servers as better alternatives.

Guru Already data are coming to Rsview 32 using RsLinx. I would like to know that whether I can browse tags in RsView 32 through OPC like Kepserver which is installed in someother PC in same network. The basic idea is to get datas from Rsview 32 to wonderware. Sebastian C

First browse with Kepware's free "explorer" or "browse" utility to verify that there's something to actually see on the local RS-View 32 PC. You can download one of them here: http://www.opcconnect.com/freecli.php Otherwise, there's no point in going further. Note that you will not be able to see anything from RS-Linx remotely unless you have the "gateway" version. I don't recall if RS-View 32 has a built-in OPC server or not. Otherwise, you are stuck pulling it directly from the PLC or else using DDE (which I don't recommend). If you can verify locally that the data exists, then you need to configure COM/DCOM for remote access... http://www.opcconnect.com/dcomcnfg.php Then configure Wonderware to access the remote PC. Again, take your free OPC client and install it on the remote PC first. Once you have it working through this tool, then move on to using the more complex one like Wonderware. I recommend always using an OPC client first because they are much simpler to set up and great for diagnostics.