Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mo_AB_4EVER

BTW and BTR examples with ControlLogix and Flex IO

5 posts in this topic

Hi there! We are transferring a RIO network from an Automax PLC to a ControlLogix. The whole network is running good with the old PLC. I can't get the analog blocks to work with ControlLogix. Digital is working fine. I need an example of a working MSG instruction with ControlLogix and Flex I/O Current setup is this: 1756-DHRIO in plc slot 4. In port A, I have 7 1794-ASB flex io scanner, all working ok with digital. In Rack 2, I have 7 flex io modules: Group 0: 1794-OB16 Group 1: 1794-OB16 Group 2: 1794-OB16 Group 3: 1794-IE4XOE2 analog combo Group 4: 1794-IT8 Thermocouple Group 5: 1794-IE4XOE2 analog combo Group 6: 1794-OE4 Anlog out The rack config in the browser is set to Rack 2, Starting group 0, Full Rack (8 I/O groups) Let's try to understand the Thermocouple module: The module config in the browser is set to Group 4, Slot 0. The MSG instruction for BTW is set as following: Message type: Block transfer write, Source element: BTW_R2G4_DATA (a INT global tag), Number of elements: 3. Communications path: RIO, channel 4, Rack 2, Group 4, Slot 0, cached connection. The MSG instruction for BTR is set as following: Message type: Block transfer read, Destination element: BTR_R2G4_DATA (a INT global tag), Number of elements: 11. Communications path: RIO, channel 4, Rack 2, Group 4, Slot 0, cached connection. When I enable de BTR or BTW, I get error 203 codes, communications timeout. I have tried to put array tags for source and destination elements, with no success. Why do I have these comm timeouts if everything digital is working? I have looked in the old software of the old PLC, and the number of data seems to match, i.e. number of elements for read and write. Thanks for your help!

I may be repeating the obvious but check out this manual http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um514_-en-p.pdf beginning at page 125. Be sure you've done the following: 1. Added the 1756-DHRIO to your IO Tree in Logix 5000. 2. Added the 1794-ASB to your IO Tree under the 1756-DHRIO in Logix 5000 3. Added a Generic Module as Slot 4 under the 1794-ASB in the IO Tree in Logix 5000 4. Point your BTW and BTR at the Generic Module not the ASB.

All of this has been done. As mentionned above, all the digital blocks are running fine. I just tried to do the msg ladder code for the group 3 and 4, but all I get is timeouts. :( Does one of you have an working exemple of ladder code with the MSG functions?? Thanks!

The RIO Channel, Rack, Group, and Slot values seem correct for a 1794-ASB set up for the most common Single Slot addressing mechanism. There are seven different addressing modes that the 1794-ASB can use, but Standard Single Slot is the most common for 16-point I/O and analog modules. Error 203 is definitely a timeout. An incorrect data size or invalid command block contents would result in a different error code. Timeouts can be physical, but since your digital I/O is working I agree that the timeout is probably logical and related to the Rack, Group, or Slot value. Can you examine and post the DIP switch settings for the 1794-ASB ? It would help to know the Series letter for the 1756-DHRIO and the 1794-ASB as well. If you can post the RSLogix 5000 program as well (at least the Message routine; you could even Export it as a *.L5X), so much the better.

this is almost the exact same problem i'm having but with devicenet and only a single 1794 2channel in / 2channel out module. did you get this resolved?