Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Cody

CLX ENET Comms to a 1761-NET-ENI

5 posts in this topic

I am configuring a CLX 5561 to communicate with a MLX. The MLX has a 1761-Net-ENI in it. The Interface card isn't in my list of Communication devices. How do I set the MLX up on my network so I can get this guy going? Should the ENI be configured as a generic Ethernet Device or is there some software I'm missing somewhere? I do not have physical access to either of the CLX or MLX racks and I don't have access to the MLX software. The only thing I have under my control is the CLX software. Thanks in advance, guys.

I have a CLX that I am programming to read some data out of an MLX. The MLX has been programmed by someone else. There are three values in a Boolean table, B3:0/8, /9, and /10 that I need to get to. I can't load these individually into Boolean tags in a MSG block. Can I load B3:0 into a 1-element INT tag and then look at the tag's .8, .9, and .10 bits to get the values or will the CLX not like that? Is there another way of getting these Boolean values, keeping in mind I can't edit the MLX code or have the developer there go back and load his values into an N table. Thanks in advance guys.

Don't set up the NET-ENI as part of the CLX IO configuration. Instead, you need to program a message instruction to the NET-ENI on a rung as part of your CLX program. In the CLX message configuration designate B3:0 as your source word and make it 1 element long. Your destination tag INT will then contain all the bits in B3:0. Refer to technote 24269 at AB's knowldedgebase at http://www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase/ for an example of how to set this up. It might seem daunting at first but its actually pretty straight forward and not difficult to do. Once you've done one you're a pro. Edited by Alaric

See my answer to you in your other thread (perhaps these should be combined...) It seem that you might be confused about B and N files. Thats OK, its common. B and N files are both integer files. As far as the PLC is concerned, they are identical. The separate type designations are immensely helpful to the programmer however and thats why they exist. However you can perform any operation of a B word that you can do in a N word, including Mathematical and move operations. And you can do bit operations on any N word. For example ADD B3:0 1 B3:1 <---- Add a 1 to the value in word B3:0 (note we are operating on the word, not a bit) or LES B3:1 B3:10 MOV B3:1 B3:10 <---- If word B3:1 is less than word B3:10 then move the value in B3:1 to B3:10 or XIC N7:0/0 OTE N7:10/0 <------- Use an output instruction to set the bit N7:10/0 to the value of bit N7:0/0 So you can access the word B3:0 as though it were an integer and read the value of all 16 bits. Edited by Alaric

Merged