Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Electricity in the Body

6 posts in this topic

We've had posts about "wierd" eledtrical installations in Industry, the home and public places but I recently encountered electricity in a very unlikely place, my mouth. I recently had an old filling chip and need repair work. I went to my trusty dentist and he proceeded to install a new addendum filling to my much older one. About 3 hours later when the anisthetic wore off I had a shooting pain about every 3 to 10 minutes. Turns out the two filling metals and the acid in the saliva of my mouth created a crude battery what dentists call "galvanic shock". The current is 5 microamperes which while small is 1000 times larger than the current of nerves. It has settled down now, but I felt it worth sharing with the other "old-timers" here at mrplc. Beware of what metal you let your dentist put into your mouth. The results can be painful.

I'm surprised your dentist didn't know about that before he did it.

He did but it is a rare occurance and he did not anticipate the problem.

Piece of aluminum foil in mouth will do the same thing Dan Bentler

At least you didn't start receiving radio stations like Gilligan did....

I never got radio reception mostly because I found the effect very electrifying, spit out the aluminum foil and never took the time to cut the foil to the correct wavelength to get the station. Dan Bentler