Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terryor

SLC 5/05 over VPN

4 posts in this topic

Hello all, I'm new here, and this looks like a good place to ask for help. Has any succeeded in getting two slc 5/05 to do messaging over a VPN network. I have two setup and linx can see the paneview on the other end of my VPN but I get an comm error to the processor and a big question mark. Anyone have a suggestion or can not simple not do this. Thanks Terry

Make sure the two AB ports are routed by the VPN. A search of the knowledgebase or this forum will yield the numbers. They are non standard ports and might not be forwarded by the VPN or blocked by some router along the way.

Is your VPN an appliance-to-appliance fixed VPN, or are you using a VPN Client software package on your PC ? To determine which protocols and ports are being used, you need to know: 1. Is the PanelView a Standard or Plus version ? 2. Are you browsing using RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise (inside FactoryTalk View Studio) ? 3. Are you using the Ethernet Devices driver or the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic ? 4. Which version of RSLinx Classic ? 5. What firmware revision is each SLC-5/05 ? The older (10+ years) A-B Ethernet protocol is called CSPv4, and uses TCP Port 2222. The newer Rockwell "EtherNet/IP" protocol uses TCP Port 44818. The browsing mechanism used by the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic uses a broadcast packet that won't pass across most firewalls or VPNs. The "Ethernet Devices" driver supports both CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP and is most commonly used on VPN-connected networks. The "Ethernet Devices" driver tries Port 2222 first, and Port 44818 second if Port 2222 is reported as closed (it will be for ControlLogix hardware). You can skip the initial Port 2222 query in RSLinx 2.52 or higher (I think) by appending ":EIP" to the IP address in the driver configuration. Edited by Ken Roach

2222 and 44818 - Thanks Ken I couldn't remember those pesky port numbers this early in the AM.