Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bill n tn

Status files

8 posts in this topic

anyone know if there is a list of the status files for compact and control logix with their descriptions? is this something I will have to gather in the different manuals?

ControlLogix family controllers don't have pre-defined Status files like PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers. There are a handful of pre-defined tags, like "S:FS" for first scan and flags for overflow, etc. There's a lot of controller status and diagnostic data, in fact probably more than the SLC/PLC. But it's not automatically made available to the User program. Instead, two special instructions called Get System Variable and Set System Variable are used (GSV and SSV). The Help file has an excellent reference under "GSV/SSV Objects". For example, if you want to read the scantime for the continuous task, in the SLC you'd reference S:3 or S:35. In the ControlLogix, you execute a GSV instruction to read the scantime of the current task. It takes a little more labor, but considering how seldom I access the S: file in my program in an SLC, I can see why it's on-demand in the ControlLogix. Do you have a specific Status function you're trying to access ?

In RSLogix5000 help search for "monitoring Status Flags"

Ken covers how the CLGX deals with status information quite well. He however leaves out one important fact, particularly in the Redundant variety of CLGX. Each GSV consumes Scan Time of its own. And it is a lot of scan time. The GSV for System Time for example uses 7 times the scan time of a COP Instruction.

ControlLogix family controllers don't have pre-defined Status files like PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers. There are a handful of pre-defined tags, like "S:FS" for first scan and flags for overflow, etc. There's a lot of controller status and diagnostic data, in fact probably more than the SLC/PLC. But it's not automatically made available to the User program. Instead, two special instructions called Get System Variable and Set System Variable are used (GSV and SSV). The Help file has an excellent reference under "GSV/SSV Objects". For example, if you want to read the scantime for the continuous task, in the SLC you'd reference S:3 or S:35. In the ControlLogix, you execute a GSV instruction to read the scantime of the current task. It takes a little more labor, but considering how seldom I access the S: file in my program in an SLC, I can see why it's on-demand in the ControlLogix. Do you have a specific Status function you're trying to access ? I need to know if the processor has lost power (rebooted). I have a machine that has some tasks that need to be done after the power has been cycled before it will run properly and I was thinking there could be a status file to show this.

Can't say concerning the status file. but there is a folder in the Cotnroller Tree called "Power Up Handler". The programs and routines you palce here will execute on power up. I think reading the help about the Power Up handler might be what you are looking for.

You probably need to do the same activities after returning from program mode. Use the S:FS (first scan) status flag for this sort of thing.

Can't say concerning the status file. but there is a folder in the Cotnroller Tree called "Power Up Handler". The programs and routines you palce here will execute on power up. I think reading the help about the Power Up handler might be what you are looking for. You probably need to do the same activities after returning from program mode. Use the S:FS (first scan) status flag for this sort of thing. Thanks for the ideas!