Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lccllc

RSview Me

5 posts in this topic

I have a large Ethernet network, all data and control of the system will be from on computer running rsview me on it. The problem is different people want to use the system from there computer, the question is what is the best way to do this. I do not want to load a copy of rsview on each computer, so is there and way to remote use the one computer from remote locations, and if so what is the best way to do this. Thanks for the help

Do not know about your budget, but as you explain your situation my best advice is to go for SE distributed instead of ME.

The problem is that the software was already bought, then they told me they wanted to access it from different locations.

Wrong software. That's not the way ME works. ME is intended to be installed (with one license per machine) each place that it is intended to be used. If you want it in more places, buy more copies. Eventually you will overload the PLC with too much traffic. At which point you will need RS-View SE anyways. Or if you want to do client-server or web-based, next time don't buy a stand-alone operator-interface based software or one that is so limiting on licensing (RS-View SE or ME).

If only 1 person needs to access the HMI at a time, you could use remote sharing software such as Remote Desktop (Windows XP feature), RealVNC, or TightVNC. Windows Remote Desktop is built-in and quick to enable, using the local/network security. However, when the remote person logs in then the local computer is locked out. RealVNC has free and purchase versions (ie. support) and TightVNC is entirely free. Each of those would allow a remote computer to connect to your 1 computer running RSView Machine Edition. The good side is that each of those solutions are easy to implement and work quite well. The downside is that only 1 person can control/connect at a time and you need a reliable/fast network. I would not recommend that for critical machine control, but it works well for casual use. If you need access for more than 1 person at a time, then you will have to go with the previous posts and either upgrade to a distributed system (ex. FTView SE) or buy more RSView ME licenses for each computer.