Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Minty

Project Documentation

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys I`m pretty new to PLC programming but i need some advice on how to document projects. Basically i`m about to start a new project which involves I/O interfacing to another OEM`s PLC. Clearly we both need to understand each others intentions and agree on who`s sending what signal where. Now i`ve fallen into bad habbits with documentation clearly i need to sit down and work out whats gonna happen in my code. I persume you guys use a flow chart to work out the process flow and then have a list of inputs and outputs? So am i on the right track? what kinda software is used to create the process flow? any software you can recommend? any advice is greatfully recieved! Many Thanks!

Hi I use to make I/O list HMI screen list When I have to add somthing I use to add comment to my list. When I have to interface to other equipment I use to wite No of cabel clolor/No of wires and comment if necessary I/O each side. Additional documentation never harm. Make sure to make it in order and logical.

Strangely enough I do not use flow charts. I use a briefly written description and sit down and write the code. A lot of people do not understand but this is the way I work. When I write code I do not require flow charts. But then we all work differently. I just punch the keyboard after a discussion with the client. I gather from discussions with others that I am the exception rahter than the rule.