Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr JJ

Memory Module

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have never used a memory module before, always depended on the battery, but customer requested a memory module. What effect will my program have, if I install a 1747-M13 memory module in my SLC 5/03? How will it effect changin my timer, counter presets or interger files that might be changes thru a HMI. Also when installing, do I just put the module into the memory socket and download the program and thats it? Or is there more I have to do? The "Installation Instructions" do not really explain much other than where to install it and what type to use for what SLC. Thank you for your help, John

Once you have the eeprom installed. Go online with the plc, while in RsLogix500, go to Comms, at the bottom of the drop down is EEPROM, from there you can select "store to eeprom". The processor must be in program mode for this function. Next you need to open the status file, and go to the MEM Module tab, it's to the right a bit. From there you configure under what conditions the memory module is loaded. By default all the options are zero, place a "1" in the options desired. If for instance you select Load Memory Module always, any time the plc is shutdown, the eeprom will be loaded. Having an eeprom installed effectively kills on line editing. Any online edits made will be lost when the eeprom loads next time. You can do online edits, debug, and then write to the eeprom, but again you have to take the processor out of run mode to write to the eeprom.

and straight from the Help topics: Load Memory Module Always S:1/11 When this bit is set, you can overwrite a processor program with a memory module program by cycling processor power. A programming device is not required. When this bit is set this overwriting process occurs every time you cycle power. If you leave the memory module installed, the overwriting process, including data tables, is repeated each time you cycle power. The mode is changed to REM Run each and every power cycle. The memory module you install in the processor must have status file bit S:1/11 set. Loading takes place if the master password and/or password in the processor and memory module match. Loading can also take place if the processor has neither a password nor a master password. When S:1/11 is also set in the status file of the user program in RAM, the memory module must be installed at all times to enter the REM Run or REM Test modes. Load Memory Module and RUN S:1/12 With this bit, you can overwrite a processor program with a memory module program by cycling processor power. A programming device is not required. The processor will attempt to enter the REM Run mode, regardless of what mode was in effect before cycling power. The memory module you install in the processor must have status file bit S:1/12 set. Loading takes place if the master password and/or password in the processor and memory module match. Loading can also take place if the processor has neither a password nor a master password. When S:1/12 is set in the status file of the user program in RAM, it does not require the presence of the memory module to enter the REM Run or REM Test mode. Program Compare S:2/9 When this bit is set inside a valid program that is contained in a memory module, no modification of the NVRAM user program files is allowed. This includes online editing, program downloading, and clear memory commands. Use this feature to prevent a programming device from altering the NVRAM program from the program contained in the Memory Module. If a memory module is installed with this bit set, and a different NVRAM user program is contained in NVRAM, the processor will not enter the Run mode. You must transfer the memory module program to NVRAM in order to enter the Run mode Edited by jimdi4