Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pelly09

Baud rate setting on old PLC-5

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys can anyone tell me if it is possible to permanently set the baud rate on an "older" plc-5. the "newer" models have the dip switches to set the rate, but the older models are set in the program and if the program is lost .....so is the baud rate. the plc is on a machine that has several other plc-5's on a DH+ network thanks in advance steve

What are you calling a older PLC5? The PLC5/10,12,15,25 Classic the baud rate for DH+ is fixed at 57.6kb. No dip switch , no software setting. Edited by Mickey

On an 'older' PLC-5 you can always get in via the serial port. Use the serial driver in RS-Linx, autoconfigure the serial port baud rate then you can connect and have access to all channel configuration. Uploading should be a breeze then - but without any comments.

If by older PLC5 he means the PLC5 Classic i.e. PLC5/10,12,15,25. They do not have serial ports. (DH+ and remote I/O only) The PLC5 Enhanced does. PLC5/11,20,30,40,60,80 Edited by Mickey

Hi guys by "older" plc5's i mean 5/40, 5/80 enhanced series D. the series E processors have the dip switches to set the baud rate but the series D don't. i believe they have the dip switches but the ones used for baud rate settings say "reserved". just to clear one thing up, i do not have any issues connecting to any of my plc's on the DH+ network, i just want to speed up comms and also refresh rate to my programming terminal. as i said, it is possible to set the baud rate through the channel configuration in the project tree, but if the program was lost or plc had to be changed the default 57.6K setting would be restored which then presents a problem with the other plc's on the network set higher and the "new" plc/program having the default setting. i'd like to try to mimic whatever the dipswitches do on the series E plc's, even if it means soldering links in place !!!! thanks again steve

The dip switch that controls the baud rate for DH+ is only for channel 1A. The higher baud rates are only supported by series "E" and higher. Channels 1B,2A,2B can be set thru software. See link below for additional info. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1