Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dugmick

S7-400 memory card question

4 posts in this topic

Hi all - I have several S7-400 CPUs, all with memory cards, and I need to make sure each current CPU program is also loaded into its respective memory card. The help text does not help me make the distinction of which operation I should use. In the Simatic Manager, there are the menu items: PLC > Download User Program to Memory Card; and PLC > Save to Memory Card. What is the difference between these two operations, and when would I use one or the other? The help text does not help me make the distinction of which operation I should use. Thanks in advance.

Hello dugmick The one you 'normally' use is Download user program to memory card. This stores the hw configuration and code and data blocks on the card. The Save to memory card is used to store additional information on the card. Typically you store the entire STEP7 project. You can then retrieve the program including comments and symbols. Nice feature, but you need a much bigger memory card !

Thanks, Jesper. That helped a lot. If the card has existing data on it, does it need to be formatted or conditioned in any way, or will the "download user program to memory card" overwrite the entire card?

Hi again. You simply insert the MC card in the CPU, and then use the said function. Do NOT insert it in a PC card reader, except for a Siemens MC card prommer. It will overwrite any existing content on the card.