Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sbaum

Load Cell Signal Conditioner

3 posts in this topic

I am wondering what the best products are out there for signal conditioning load cells. I have done a project in the past using an API 4058 G. ( analog output ) It worked ok for the application and seems to be a good product, however I was somewhat limited in regards to output resolution. I was using an Omron CP1H XA with the onboard analog inputs. I recently did another project utilizing the ALCP digitizer from Totalcomp. It is a Modbus / 485 unit with some great features for a greater price. The internal smart filters work very nice to smooth the signal in a noisy enviroment, and the 400,000 point resolution gave me lots of accuracy. The downside is that one unit could not power the 4 load beams that I needed to read. I like the digital unit better than messing with analog but I need something that can drive at least four 350ohm bridges. Any input or experience on project you have done? Thx SB

I've have used Beckhoff IO modules for load cells. You can connect to your PLC using device net, control net, ethernet, profibus, or modbus, or several others. http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?bus_terminal/kl3351.htm

Calex makes some nice models. I have 2 of their 6255 strain gage units. It converts 0-50mv to 100-10100Hz for use with 2 high speed counter inputs on a micrologix 1500 for a batch weighing application. Very dependable and it is very accurate also. www.calex.com