Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeP

Hyper Terminal

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i have to do some work with a basic card that is sending information back and forth from a technifor printer. I understand the best way is to use hyperterminal which i have. Has anyone ever used it? and how do i get on line with it and how do i get the information off of it so i can modify it. Then what steps do i ahve to do to put the information back on the basic card? Thanks in advance for all your help. Mike

There are three popular A-B BASIC cards; 1771-BAS Series A, 1771-BAS Series B, and 1747-BAS. Each work a little differently, but the essence is that the terminal program (usually Hyperterminal) acts as, well, a terminal. You give it commands like "list" and "run" and send it control characters like control-C and it reacts to them. The first thing you need to do to back up or modify a BASIC program is get a listing of the program. Then you can modify it, clear the module, and load the program back in. First post the type of module you have, and find a User Manual for it on the RA Literature website.

Its a 1746 BAS maodule. Thanks for your help Ken I will look up the user manual on RA's website. Is there anything else that I should know? Mike

you may want to try connecting two serial ports of your pc (or two pcs) to test hyperterminal. few general things to know: - pick right cable (straight or crossover, for PC to PC it's crossover such as 1746-CP3). - if your cable has only TX,RX and GND connection, don't use hardware handshaking - both devices must use same port settings - make sure you know which port you use - don't always trust hyper terminal, have another program that can show each character in hex (like Serial Monitor in download section) etc.