Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hmiman

CLX Firmware 17

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I am considering upgrading all our CLX processors, mainly 55's and 63's, to major firmware revision 17. The main added advantages that I am interested in is the Runtime Partial Import and the Runtime Detection of Controller Modifications. Does anyone have experience with the latter? I do want a log of online changes to PLC code, but can't justify the cost of FactoryTalk Asset Center. As I understand it, one can log changes to code by Windows logon to non-volatile memory. This seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Please comment if the feature lives up to expectations. Thanks.

Hi hmiman, Sorry can't comment on the two features you are interested in as I haven't used either. You do not say what revision you are running now but if moving to 17 is a reasonable upgrade from say revision 14 or 15 then be aware that by simply upgrading to a new revision, by nature this will require more processor memory which may not be a good thing for your processors....particularly your 55's. Also if you have servo motion in any of the programs new parameters (jerk parameter I think) where added to some of the instructions around version 16, if my memory serves me correctly, so you will have to go through the code and upgrade those instructions.

To add to kid's excellent suggestion. Check the compatability chart at AB and see what version firmware your DNET, CNET, DHRIO and SERCOS cards need to be to work with V17 PLC. You may have to flash more than just PLC CPus

V17 does not support L55's anymore V16 (FW16.21) is end of the road for them along with flexlogix. You must flash motion modules if you have them to V17 also. All comm modules are compatible with V17 but it is always good idea to keep all communication modules at the latest major/minor rev no matter what controller version you have Edited by Contr_Conn

The MAM instructions are automatically modified to include the jerk parameter with a default value.

It must have been when I upgraded from rev 15 to 16 then cos the jerk was included in the mam's but no value was added automatically which created a compilation error. The mam's where all Structured text in and SFC if that has any baring on it??? Maybe 17 does this instruction parameter along with the value addition automatically now??

My experience is from 15 to 16, but in ladder.

Go here http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/firmware.html Select "control hardware" make sure when you go to V17 that you know what your in for as far as Software and Firmware upgrades. So many people make the mistake of not checking CPR release and whether they need to upgrade firmware on cards. You would be on CPR 9 SR1 As stated above L55 do not have a version 17 firmware release for the CPR.