Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcshete

Remote OPC in RSView32

5 posts in this topic

Hi I need help regarding configuring a node in RSView32 as remote OPC server to connect to an OPC topic in other station with RSLinx gateway installed on the remote PC. I have enabled the Gateway, added the RSView32 PCs IP address to the list, etc. But when I try to browse the server while configuring a new tag, I get a message saying 'Conection to server failed'. Thanks for any help. RS

Have you tried an OPC Client other than RSView, just to test it out? A successful connection with another OPC Client, running as the same user, would rule out DCOM configuration. DCOM configuration is usually the culprit in most cases when people have problems with a remote connection like this. MatrikonOPC has a test OPC client called OPC Explorer, and it's available as a free download. Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

So the data sending PC has an OPC topic configured on that data sending PC? As long as that data sending PC has RSLinxGateway (or RSLinxPro) installed, that should be all you need. Can you ping the data sending PC from the data capturing PC? If they are on different subnets, sometimes RSLinx's OPC server abilities are handicapped. If you data capturing PC (the RSView machine) does not see that OPC topic on the network, the issue probably resides within your data capturing PC. Try the Matrikon tool to verify your data capturing PC can see the data sending OPC topic.

Thanks for the replies Adrien and Kaiser. I have checked the communications thoroughly. Both PCs can ping each other, Gateway is enabled. I do not want any other OPC. I am just trying to use an inherent feature of RSLinx.

You have to BUY an RS-Linx Pro or RS-Linx Gateway license (use Help-->About to check) on the remote PC. If you don't have this option, you will NOT be able to remotely browse. You also have to open up DCOM to allow remote connections.