Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shamus

VPN into profibus network

6 posts in this topic

Hello All I have a profibus network with approx 15 nodes. 3 are siemens PLC's and 1 is a PC running a scada system. There is a LAN network connection close by so my question is if i had a VPN connection into the LAN network could i add the PC (with the profibus card in the back) onto the LAN and get access to the profibus network from my laptop in the outside world? Also if the above is a no go would my other option be to add the siemens software onto the profibus PC and run a remote desktop application like pc anywhere? thanks for your time Shamus

Hi Shamus. The question is if you can reach the SCADA PC via the VPN connection. And is the SCADA PC a socalled "Simatic PC Station" ? I.e. Simatic Net is installed on the PC, and there is the "Station Configurator" in the taskbar. If so, then you can setup your own PC with STEP7 as a "PG/PC" or a "PC Station". Set the SCADA PC and your programming PC up in NetPro as if they are connected on the same network. In the STEP7 project all stations must be integrated, SCADA PC, Programming PC and Profibus PLCs. You have to update the HW Configuration of all stations involved - also the PLCs on Profibus. This because their routing tables shall be updated. With all this done, you should be able to reach the PLC on Profibus by means of Routing via the SCADA PC.

Thanks for the reply I think I can arrange that. I have been asked by the IT dept on site what ports need opened for the VPN. Do you know if there is anything I should be aware of when choosing ports? regards Shaun

Hello again Shaun. Read this FAQ: http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/8970169 I think the important port is 102, but not 100% sure.

You are welcome. Come back and tell us how it goes. This topic interests me quite a bit.