Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frenchy

Micrologix 1100 using an older OPC server to Labview...

5 posts in this topic

Micrologix 1100 <-> Lookout Protocol Drivers v4.5 <-> Labview v7.0 Hello all, I am helping a local company to use their existing seat of Labview v7.0 to talk over Ethernet with a new Micrologix 1100 PLC. We were hoping to use their existing OPC server that came with Labview (circa 2000) so that they do not have to purchase a new OPC server. Their Labview package is the "NI Developer Suite Professional v7.0 Control Edition" which comes with a "DSC Module" which contains an OPC server called "Lookout Protocol Drivers OPC Server v4.5 (build7)". This software came out several years before the Micrologix 1100 was born, but OPC is supposed to be a cross-platform, cross-generation standard isnt it? So, when I set-up the OPC server, it asks me which type of PLC I have and the only choices are AB_Logix (Micrologix 1500), AB_PLC2, AB_PLC5 (15 different flavors), and AB_SLC500 (5 different flavors). Can I use one of these that might be similar to the ML1100? I already ran the ethernet cable not a serial cable. My application is just reading and writing a couple of variables from/to the Binary, Integer and Float data storage locations approx once per second. Does anyone see a problem doing this without having to upgrade the OPC server to something that "officially supports" the ML1100? Thank you very much!! frenchy

Try selecting the SLC 5/05, might work, this is the only SLC that comes with ethernet. Worst case you have to go serial.

Ken, Thank you very much for the reply. The problem is that my old OPC server didnt have the SLC 5/05 as an option....it only went up to the SLC 5/04. I'm not sure if buying a new OPC server that supports ethernet and the ML1100 directly would be smart or if I should run that expensive AB serial cable (can I build my own?) and keep trying to "trick" the OPC server into thinking it is talking to one of the old PLCs... Thanks again! I will figure it out. Fun learning curve! respectfully, frenchy

I would go with the serial cable, 5/05's were out in 2000, so it might be a limitation of your software, some only do DF1. The cable for programming a PLC is a null modem cable, but many of the HMI cables are straight through. I would try to get one of each and try and connect.

I seriously doubt you are going to be able to do anything about it without going to a new OPC server. OPC is a standard in that it standardizes the API (programming protocol) for the HMI side of things. Essentially, it provides a standardized interface for interacting with the communication driver, which is Lookout in your case. Of course there are 3 subtly different flavors of OPC even just referring to DA (ignoring both flavors of UA and the XML derivative from a few years back). OPC does not standardize the WIRE protocol between the PC and the PLC. There are 4 flavors of Ethernet communication with AB PLC's. They are the venerable PLC-5 format, SLC format, Ethernet/IP (as spoken by ControlLogix, FlexLogix, CompactLogix, etc.), and YET ANOTHER variation used by Micrologix 1100, 1400, etc. Still, I have found that there is SOME interoperability at least with PLC-5 & SLC. The protocols are similar enough that things work most of the time. When it comes to the other two though, all I can say is good luck. I've recently priced OPC servers from Matrikon & Kepware and I believe they were running about $800. If you go with RS-Linx, you need the "OEM" version at a bare minimum. However, my experience is that RS-Linx OPC leaves much to be desired. This is one time where I highly recommend you consider a competitor and not just for cost reasons.