Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kiwi Nate

FX-3U First time with ethernet to excel

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a good example of an ideal beginner OPC project coming up. What I have to do is get the total cycle times from a chemical dipping process and enter them into an excel spread sheet. (This is not homework by the way) 5 tags worth updated once every 5 or so minutes. I have never done anything like this before, and that extends as far as the ethernet settings on the PLC side. From a few hours of hunting around I have found that I need a ethernet card for the PLC, an OPC server, then I need to write something in VB, which I can do from the developer tab in Excel, then my OPC client (in this case Excel). Cool, still none the wiser, but thats how the learning curve goes. I have many, many questions, but i'll keep them spaced as I learn more. Questions; What is bugging me at the mo is Graybox 100 tag demo. Will it be ok to use? Potential unknowns, drivers to FX-3U? VB script combatability? (Appeared to be a C++ based OPC server) Any guidance and direction greatly recieved. Nathan

I found this http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=4941&hl= Enough to get me started. Saves the need to go the expensive Mitsi ethernet module! If anyone has any other links in their arsenal that are good for a beginner, I would like to recieve them. Chur, Nathan

Is the excel spreadsheet open at all times, or are you writing to an Excel file instead? There are some applicable OPC Tutorials at MatrikonOPC. For the VB route, if you sent me an email I could reply with some VB OPC Client examples. my email is adriel DOT michaud AT matrikonopc.com Adriel Michaud MatrikonOPC

Thankyou! Nice website. Still not 100% what the customer wants, I wll be ask them some questions shortly on the finer points. Another question... The DDE route sounds like an easy option for this particular app, but is it considered 'best practice' to use a opc server / VB script, as this seems the way things are going?

OK, I got some trial software, KepServerEX demo (with simulation package) and OPCWareXL for the excel add in. I have got numbers streaming into excel now which is good, but i'm still feeling lost. I seem to be struggling. Well, not to bad for a couple of days worth of hunting around I suppose.