Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jvoytilla

S5 and ip_244 temp card issues in existing system

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone... I'm hoping someone here can help me to continue trouble shooting a injection molding press we have. the basic system consists of a S5-115 PLC and a IP 244 (-3AB31) Temp card and a third party user interface. The issue we are having is the temps are reporting all zeros. Usually if we are having a thermocouple issue, we will get a reading of 861 - signifying a broken thermocouple, etc.. Luckily we have a few other machines which use the same components, but all have slightly different configurations. To complicate the issue, the presses are from italy and there is no longer any support here in the states - so communications can be difficult. The 244 card itself powers up, with no errors and appears to control one platen tempurature. So it appears to be monitoring the thermo, and controlling and output. However all indications that i can find in the PLC show zero, and the user interface shows zero. So far i've.... - swapped PLC from another machine - swapped 244 card from another machine - replaced PT100 thermocouple that is used for compensation on channel 15 - swapped ribbon cable going from 244 to breakout board - swapped breakout board - moved 244 card to another spot on the back plane. none of these things made a difference. i did some preliminary digging into the code, comparing it with another machine that works and seem to have found where the actual values are stored in the S5. These also show zero, which rules out any issue that may have been happening with just the user interface showing zeros, while the PLC contained the proper values. Thanks for reading any ideas?

Hi, maybe is better to post the S5 program on forum. dekor.

First question is has it ever worked? If so then what was changed, or what went wrong when it stopped working. From what I can remember the IP244 has some standard function blocks which are called to initialise it and control it. Its a few years since I worked on one. Do you have manuals? If not try and download them from the siemens website, you will need them.

Thanks for the response mike, Yes this is an existing system that has been working for years up until a few weeks ago. I was able to find the manual for the 244 card, and have been reading it. I've also found in the program where the card is initialized... I pulled out the battery and the card to clear any memory hoping that upon reboot it would reinitialize. So far that hasn't worked. I'm in contact with the machine builder in Italy, but its difficult at best with comminucation and they seemed to be a little stumped as well

Well if it has worked, and no-one has been changing the software then it has to be a hardware problem. Are any of the diagnostic bytes that the standard FB return any help. From what I can remember this card has the option for internal or external 24v supplies, are these set right

Can you post the PLC program? dekor